We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

- Self catering apartment on the beach

USA
reviews: 3
- Self catering apartment on the beach

A friend will be visiting Antigua for one month (April), any suggestions for a self catering accommodation on the beach (condo, villa), relatively safe.......preferably lower than $US 1000.00/mt

Thanks

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 9
1. Re: - Self catering apartment on the beach

@Cindy,

Please tell your friend that finding a beachfront property at the height of the high tourist season for LESS than $1000 for a month is like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow lol. If you were doing long term (i.e. more than 3 months) you may have stood a slightly better chance

If beachfront property is a MUST have, then maybe try Barrymore Beach Apartments, or Paradise Beach Cottages, both on the Runaway Bay area. They may be willing to do a deal for close to that price.

If beachfront location is not a must, there may be a few properties in Jolly Harbour that may be available. You can either book these through a website such as homeaway or vrbo where you deal directly with the owner, or a number of different sites such as typically tropical villas that have a number of these places for rent. Most of the villas will be located no more than a few minutes walk from one of the beaches in the area.

However, I am 99.99% sure that you will NOT get anything on these sites for anywhere close to $1000, (because I've checked myself, numerous times)

There's also the option of Inn La Galleria, which is pretty cheap, and about 10-15 minutes walk to the beach, which you actually can get for close to $1000 for a month

USA
2. Re: - Self catering apartment on the beach

Dear DTG,

Many thanks for your very detailed and realistic response. We will check the sites you recommended and get back to you for further clarification if necessary. The beachfront is not a must but close to it is preferred.

Additionally, a relatively safe area and close to restaurants etc, and activities is also preferred.

Thank you....

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 9
3. Re: - Self catering apartment on the beach

Runaway Bay is just a skip down the road from Dickenson Bay, which has several restaurants and busy beach with Dickenson Bay. You get the best of both worlds in a sense, as Runaway is usually pretty quiet while dickenson down the road is far more busy.

I have heard of one or two incidents, to be fair, at Runaway, but nothing I would personally be alarmed about.

Personally I'd choose Jolly Harbour, though, because of the fact that there's a supermarket there, along with numerous shops and restaurants. The only thing I'll say here is, if you're on the North Finger, you will either need to take the shuttle (which according to reports, is a bit unreliable at times) or get other transport to get to/from the main area of Jolly. If you're on the South Finger, you're fine!

English Harbour is another place with facilities that's safe, but since it's high season and sailing week is in April, I can guarantee that everything for April will either be booked or far more expensive than $1000 - UNLESS your friend is ok with a hostel/dorm setting at Anchorage Rooms (although I suspect that may be booked up as well)

USA
4. Re: - Self catering apartment on the beach

Thanks for this information DTG......will explore the possibilities for Jolly Harbor coupled with the south finger......... any other thoughts please continue to share with me

USA
5. Re: - Self catering apartment on the beach

DTG...we are still looking for a place at Jolly Harbour.....also...do you know of any places at the Runaway Beach......thanks...

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 72
6. Re: - Self catering apartment on the beach

try barrymore - tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g147243-d1506…

USA
7. Re: - Self catering apartment on the beach

Thanks much, I can't seem to locate the website to see the rates and do a booking.....

The Barrymore do seem interesting.....

USA
8. Re: - Self catering apartment on the beach

I have seen this message

Barrymore Beach Apartments are reserved for long term student rentals

(three months or longer.)

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 72
9. Re: - Self catering apartment on the beach

I'm pretty sure Brian still keeps the units nearest the beach available for short term rentals.

You can contact him at http://www.vrbo.com/392247 or via flipkey or email hashcrash (at) hotmail.com (though this is from memory and may have changed)

USA
10. Re: - Self catering apartment on the beach

Much much thanks...will follow up.....

Get answers to your questions about Antigua