We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport shopping

Oldsmar, Florida
reviews: 12
Airport shopping

We'll be in Antigua in April and don't really want to use up vacation time shopping. Usually we end up doing most of our shopping at the airport on the way home. :-) Does the Antigua airport have many shops? Any recommendations for Antigua-specific souvenirs?

England
reviews: 9
1. Re: Airport shopping

The airport does have a few small shops and one decent-sized souvenir-type shop with jewellery, confectionery, knick-knacks etc. however, most of these things are not Antigua-specific, and are actually made elsewhere. In all honesty, there is not too much locally-made stuff to buy in Antigua IMO.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 70
2. Re: Airport shopping

Unless you want to go to one of the local galleries, potteries or to the craft market, you're probably just as well off buying from your beach vendors, who are generally lovely, friendly and very helpful, as well as being Antiguan rather than the overseas owned duty free operation at the Airport.

Oldsmar, Florida
3. Re: Airport shopping

Good suggestions, thanks! I'll do my shopping on the beach.

Edited: 7:05 am, March 11, 2013
Surrey, U.K.
reviews: 111
4. Re: Airport shopping

I agree with the suggestion of the beach option. The main store in the airport - Britt Shop - doesn't offer a great range of goods and is very expensive.

Urbandale, Iowa
reviews: 11
5. Re: Airport shopping

Very expensive is right. We bought a candy bar and bottle of water for $8

Oldsmar, Florida
6. Re: Airport shopping

Is haggling expected with the beach vendors?

Urbandale, Iowa
7. Re: Airport shopping

yes. Example we met a young couple that wanted to rent jet skis. I think they ended up paying 1/2 of what the guy was asking.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 9
8. Re: Airport shopping

I certainly wouldn't leave my shopping for the airport! Both because of the excessive and sometimes exhorbitant prices, as well as I would think I'd like something authentic!

SURREY
9. Re: Airport shopping

its very small not much there at all

Oldsmar, Florida
10. Re: Airport shopping

We're really not shoppers. In Jamaica we pick up coffee and in Mexico we pick up vanilla. Other than that, we might buy a t-shirt. I'm happy just bringing home photos and memories. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Antigua