We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hour layover - car rental?

Dayton, Ohio
reviews: 3
7 hour layover - car rental?

I just planned a trip to Montserrat, and due to short notice, we are only able to return on the 7:30am flight. Our flight home doesn't leave Antigua until approximately 3:00pm. This will give us about 7 hours. What should we do?

We are a couple in our early 30s. We like beaches, but prefer them uncrowded. Dining is not a priority. I think ideally I would like to see Nelson's dockyard and visit a beach. Would this be possible?

Would it be feasible to rent a car for this amount of time? My thinking is that a car would give us a place to stow our carryon luggage and provide a means of transportation.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 6
1. Re: 7 hour layover - car rental?

Sounds like a terrific idea. 7 hours is plenty of time to see parts of the island in a rental car and still get back to the airport in time for your flight. Go for it!

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 9
2. Re: 7 hour layover - car rental?

Personally, i'd just hire a taxi and go on a day tour.

Most cars are going to be roughly $40 US per day, PLUS $20 US for drivers license, PLUS 15% (or about 9$) for sales tax, not to mention GAS which will probably run you another $10 or so if you do quite a bit of driving.

You'll probably end up paying about $70-80 - which is, give or take a few dollars, the exact same price that you'd pay for hiring a car/taking a tour for a half day, which is all the time you'll have before getting back to the airport.

Not to mention the fact that (assuming it's your first time in Antigua) that the roads in Antigua aren't always clearly marked, and you may spend a bit of time wandering around trying to find your bearings.

I'd DEFINITELY say to go with a private tour. It's the same price as renting a private car (assuming you're only here for a day) but they already know WHERE to go and how to get there.

For a list of providers, visit this link, which has a number of available taxi drivers.

www.antiguanice.com/v2/thingstodo.php?cat=15

Cheers!

Daryl

Dayton, Ohio
reviews: 3
3. Re: 7 hour layover - car rental?

Thank you for your responses! Anyone else care to weigh in? Would a taxi be willing to wait for us and hold our bags while we spend time looking around? Would the cost be outrageous?

If we were going to spend a little time at just one beach, which do you recommend? I hate to spend a lot of time in the car, but we do prefer less popular quiet beaches.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 9
4. Re: 7 hour layover - car rental?

If you are taking a taxi tour, then thing such as keeping the bags and time for looking around and spending time on the beach would be included. Just email a few on the list I provided, or check their website for individualised packages, and ask them to give you a quote with your specifications.It's probably the best to arrange a "half day" package, which usually runs from about 8-9 to 12-1, and then get you back to the airport in time for the flight

5. Re: 7 hour layover - car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Antigua