We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing trips to other islands

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
Sailing trips to other islands

Any suggestions for sailing trips to St.Maarten or other islands?

Minneapolis...
1. Re: Sailing trips to other islands

Barbuda is the most popular, Antigua's sister island, a good 4.5 hour sail each way. I think anything outside of that You may have to charter (crewed or bare boat) a boat. We chartered from Horizon in Jolly Harbour.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 6
2. Re: Sailing trips to other islands

Sailing to St. Martin is an "all day" affair (think about 12 hours each way) and you'll be crossing lots of open water which can be quite "lumpy". Not something the inexperienced sailor would want to or should due.

For a day sail you are limited to either Barbuda (you'll be crossing open water) or just sailing around parts of Antigua.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 9
3. Re: Sailing trips to other islands

I think there are a few places (OnDeck for one) that offer sailing trips to Barbuda and Montserrat. Outside of that, I'm not really sure. Were you looking to island hop, visit for a day, or do you want the experience of sailing?

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Sailing trips to other islands

Thank you for all replies. I think it makes sense to take a sailing excursion around Antigua and see other options for visiting other islands. I would rather consider ferries to reach Montserrat or Barbuda. As I understand, St. Maartens might be too far to go for a day trip and sailing on the open ocean can be risky.

Edited: 10:46 pm, December 30, 2012
5. Re: Sailing trips to other islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 06, 2014