We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Antigua

The Villages...
Crime in Antigua

My husband and I thought about spending a month there next winter. Stopped during a cruise a couple of years ago.The beaches were beautiful. Now I'm hearing of all the crime and murders. Are we better off looking somewhere else.

northwest ontario
reviews: 41
1. Re: Crime in Antigua

I was there last year so my opinion may not be totally up to date but I think that there is crime every where and as a tourist aka visitor you have to use common sense and be careful.

My family is thinking of returning for Christmas this year and renting a property around the Jolly Beach area, will be watching this thread.

F39

England
reviews: 8
2. Re: Crime in Antigua

It is worth your while looking at other recent threads about this subject.

As most of us who visit Antigua regularly say, nowhere on this Earth is crime-free. There has been an increase in the number of crimes recently in Antigua, but it is still relatively low, and almost certainly at a lower rate than your or my home country.

People are being mugged and murdered in every country of the world.

If you use your common sense, as you would at home, you will be absolutely fine. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that because Antigua is a beautiful, scenic island with fantastic weather, you can leave your handbag in the car and not lock it, or take your bags onto a public beach and both go into the sea, expecting them to still be there when you get out. Would you do that at home? No, I wouldn't, so I'm sure you wouldn't either.

Please visit Antigua, and enjoy it. The people are lovely, the scenery and the beaches are beautiful, and we return year after year because it is so special. Just be sensible!

Wirral UK
reviews: 485
3. Re: Crime in Antigua

Perfectly put.

Islip Terrace, New...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Crime in Antigua

Beautifully put!!!!

Antigua is like the rest of the world today-go enjoy have fun-Parrothead82

The Villages...
5. Re: Crime in Antigua

Thanks you guys

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
6. Re: Crime in Antigua

We just returned, and I felt much safer in Antigua than on several other Caribbean islands we've been to--the people were delightful.

7. Re: Crime in Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 22, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Antigua