We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest ferry other than the public one

Cary, North Carolina
cheapest ferry other than the public one

So- less than two weeks until my first trip to Anguilla - so excited to leave the cold!

I am debating the public vs private ferry. Plane lands at 1:30 in SXM - figured if I take a taxi to the terminal, wait on the next ferry, travel over, etc - Looking at a minimum of two hours until I get to Nature's Gardens. maybe even more?

What is the cheapest of the private ferry's? Want to do the math to see if it is worth paying a little extra for some extra time, less hassle, etc. The cheapest I found was $55 - so I guess that would cost me about $90 extra for the two of us- but if it saves two hours, might be worth it, and allow us to start exploring with a lot of daylight vs just a couple of hours to learn our surroundings and hopefully not getting lost!

Minnesota
reviews: 24
11. Re: cheapest ferry other than the public one

Last February, I took the Link, and it was $95pp round trip. I think that was the cheapest one. Not sure if the price has gone up since then. We were in Anguilla just over an hour after landing in SXM (carry-ons only, and we were the last ones on the ferry - but I think some of the other passengers had been waiting a while to leave). Our friends arrived on the same flight one week later, took the public ferry instead, and they got to Anguilla an hour later than we had the previous week. That was a Saturday, and the public ferry/Blowing Point terminal tends to be busier that day (locals going from AXA to SXM to shop, etc.).

When we arrive next month we're going to see if any of the shuttle services are leaving soon and have room, otherwise we'll try the public ferry again. With everything I've read, I don't know if you can predict which will be faster on any given day.

New York City, New...
12. Re: cheapest ferry other than the public one

Jen

I think that you hit the nail on the head when you said that you cannot predict which will be faster on any given day. There are so many variables involved (rough seas, taxi connections, waiting for other passengers, just making/missing the public ferry, etc.).

Connecticut
reviews: 31
13. Re: cheapest ferry other than the public one

"The advantage of the public ferry is that as soon as you leave the SXM terminal you are on your way to Anguilla. No waiting around at the shuttle dock for your shuttle or other passengers. Hop in a taxi ($20 for 2 people), 15 minutes later you are in Marigot. On our trip in January, we lucked out on the public ferry and were in Anguilla within an hour after leaving SXM."

You did luck out. I've taken taxis that have gotten stuck in traffic, taking well over twice that time to get to Marigot. Also - one needs to be careful to not get bundled into a taxi with multiple destinations, which can add significantly to the length of the drive.

Ma
14. Re: cheapest ferry other than the public one

The new bridge from SXM across Simpson's Bay eliminates the traffic on the Dutch side. The traffic through Marigot is the only slow part. Our trips back and forth in Jan. on a Saturday, around noontime, took about 15 minutes each.

ct
reviews: 38
15. Re: cheapest ferry other than the public one

Does any one know the cost of a taxi for a family of for from SXM to ferry? I'm trying to get the cash set aside in the correct amounts! Also wondering if anyone should be tipped from taxi driver to people at public ferry?

New York City, New...
16. Re: cheapest ferry other than the public one

We tip both the taxi cab driver and the people on both sides of the ferry (St. Martin and Anguilla). We make sure that we have the tip readily available so that we don't need to rustle around looking for it.

Wimauma, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
reviews: 6
17. Re: cheapest ferry other than the public one

We never take the ferry, and will be taking it on our next trip. I would like to know what time the first public ferry leaves in the morning to go SXM to AXA. We'll be in St Martin overnight, and want to get to Anguilla early. Or what time the GB starts to operate. Do they have a website?

Ma
18. Re: cheapest ferry other than the public one

First public ferry to leave Marigot is 8:15

First GB is 9:15 ??

19. Re: cheapest ferry other than the public one

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:32 pm, April 08, 2014
Philadelphia...
reviews: 4
20. Re: cheapest ferry other than the public one

ALR miluv:

Change your post: GB's website is anguillaferryandcarter.com to

anguillaferryandcharter.com

then it will go through.

;-)