We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local currency?

reviews: 2
Local currency?

Anguilla in 2 weeks! I know $ are accepted but do we need any local currency and for what? Any advantages in using one or another?

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
reviews: 1
1. Re: Local currency?

No, you can pay for everything in USDs

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
2. Re: Local currency?

I think that if you are visiting another country, you should at least be courteous enough to use THEIR currency. In this case, the Anguillan dollar...

USA
reviews: 224
3. Re: Local currency?

There is no such thing as the "Anguillian dollar". So trying to use it would indeed be very DIScourteous.

US currency is not only accepted, but used, virtually everywhere.

Edited: 7:01 pm, January 26, 2013
New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
reviews: 2
4. Re: Local currency?

Yes, I agree. Its the good ole American dollar, and almost all of the restaurants will present your bill in US dollars, come to think of it I cannot think of a dining spot that gives you a bill in EC. Its used virtually everywhere is the way it is!

Texas
reviews: 8
5. Re: Local currency?

Granted since ECD are on a fixed exchange rate with USD its really not important which currency you use. As everyone has said, in the Eastern Caribbean, USD are widely accepted and in some cases prices are quoted in USD and in the cases where they are not (ie grocery stores) the clerks are very used to accepting USD and doing the exchange (granted you may in many cases get ECD coins back for the change).

I will also say that while logically one would think locals would want their own local currency in payment for services......that is not always the case. There are MANY countries where the locals would PREFER USD versus the local currency for various reasons so its not a matter of being courteous, in many cases they prefer USD (I travel internationally all the time and trust me, there are many countries where they give you a BIG smile when you offer to pay in USD!!!).

Alberta, Canada
6. Re: Local currency?

Because of the fixed exchange rate there is no real benefit for locals to accept USD over ECD. Having said that, virtually all "tourist" facilities price in USD. Local stores like grocery stores (as mentioned) are priced in ECD (so once you get over the first shock when seeing the prices, you will be OK), but you can use USD. Most tills even have a single-button conversion option. And it is not just tourists using USD or mixed currencies. Locals do it all the time as well.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
reviews: 1
7. Re: Local currency?

The petrol stations also price in ECs but take USD, always ask for 30 (or whatever) USD worth of petrol or diesel.

Colorado
8. Re: Local currency?

Speaking of gas (American here), the posted price is about $18/gallon. Before you faint, you should know that it's posted in ECD and Imperial Gallons. The Imperial Gallon is 5 quarts, or 1.25 US gallons. After all is said, it works out to about $5.50 a gallon - no bargain but not so bad.

Wimauma, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
reviews: 6
9. Re: Local currency?

We find it odd that only the gas stations in Anguilla are stricktly in EC currency and the imperial gallons mode. Its confusing. We just say 20 dollars US please, and they get it right on the mark. So you don't need to know the conversions really. They do take US dollars everywhere. I never came across anyplace that was just EC. In the grocery store, be aware that prices on items are in EC. I bring a little caluclator, and divide by 2.68. Then you get the US amound. Just say US dollars at the register and they convert it all.

Alberta, Canada
10. Re: Local currency?

Ellen, you already indicate that it is not just the gas/petrol stations that are strictly ECD - the same for the groceries. And both happily accept USD as mentioned many times.

As to the use of Imperial measures, being British (West Indies) they should use real gallons (that is the Imperial kind) and related measures. Actually, if they were really like Britain, they would be posting the price in litres!

The fact that a lot of stuff on the shelves is in US gallons and not in Imperial ones is merely a consequence of the fact that they import from anywhere, and being small they don't impose re-labelling of the containers. They just live with a mixed Imperial-US-metric system, just like they live with dual currencies.