We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5th trip to AXA, first time solo and need updated info

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
5th trip to AXA, first time solo and need updated info

After a 3 year absence (thanks to the recession), I'm headed back to my favorite place on earth! Just booked a week at Turtle's Nest and need some updated info on ferries and car rentals.

Car Rental:

Is Ronnie at Bryan's Car Rental still the best? I want to pick up a car at Blowing Point.

Ferry:

I've used Funtime and Shauna in the past and never had problems, but have read a lot of negatives. Read good stuff about GB Express and Link. Experts, what's the best in terms of price and reliability?

Any other changes over the last 3 years? New great restaurants? Old favorites that have tanked?

Best restaurants for take out?

Any tips for a first time solo traveler?

Any info on any or all of the above is much appreciated. Thanks!

Texas
reviews: 8
11. Re: 5th trip to AXA, first time solo and need updated info

Puerto Rico and AXA while close geographically are worlds apart in terms of crime. Not to say there is no crime on AXA.....but Puerto Rico is not even comparable to AXA. That coming from someone considering a relocation to Puerto Rico.......uggh. If the decision was to relo to AXA.....it would be easy.

Having said that.....no matter where you go.......you have to use common sense when it comes to safety. But again.....Puerto Rico....AXA....no comparison when it comes to being safe.

Fairfield...
reviews: 12
12. Re: 5th trip to AXA, first time solo and need updated info

Another new restaurant is Blanchard's new casual beach restaurant, which is right next to the original restaurant. It's very laid back and very reasonable. I had some great gazpacho and a salad with crispy warm cheese. Yummm. ANd my hubby had some great fish tacos. I would definitely recommend it - and it's right down the beach from you!

Have fun!

Toronto, Canada
13. Re: 5th trip to AXA, first time solo and need updated info

I don't know about AXA but you are absolutely correct regarding Puerto Rico, and especially Vieques. Do NOT go; it is not safe. There is a huge amount of police corruption due to drugs and women in particular are not safe. While there in March/April 2012, a serial rapist on Coco Beach, Esperanza, Vieques attacked an American woman (third time) by bashing her on the head (so hard she had to have brain surgery to release the pressure) and then raped her. Third time for that MO. Even though the guy is a local and it is an island, for God's sake, they just can't seem to catch the guy. The local business owners, most of whom are transplants from New York, are so desperate to keep people coming back to that cancer Navy bombing zone to recoup their crashed housing prices that they lied for weeks about it on the PR/Vieques site. Worst experience in my life. I was on that beach and it could have been me.

US
reviews: 91
14. Re: 5th trip to AXA, first time solo and need updated info

I second all the recs from the phillypepper

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
15. Re: 5th trip to AXA, first time solo and need updated info

I'm obviously too late with this advice for a first time solo traveler:

1) Don't advertise that you're traveling solo and

2) Don't advertise where you're staying

I like GB Express for shuttle service because they adhere to their schedule.

I have had good luck with a number of car rental compnies. Ronnie Bryan, Island, Bass, Avis.

In the West End, Picante is an easy restaurant to go to solo for dinner. Veya, is, too. Really, any restaurant is fine for that. Fat Cat Gourmet has good take out. I just had good take out from Big Spring in Island Harbor.

I find it very relaxing to be there. Book a massage. Take a good book. Enjoy!

16. Re: 5th trip to AXA, first time solo and need updated info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 14, 2013