We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

PA
reviews: 2
grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

If we stay at the Ferry Boat Inn, we'd like to be somewhat self-sufficient as we're vegans and don't want to be driving around all the time looking for suitable dishes (actually we'd be happy to not rent a car at all and veg out in one spot). Can anyone tell me if there are any grocery stores nearby?

Thanks!

1. Re: grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:41 am, March 05, 2014
Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
reviews: 8
2. Re: grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

Oh, please go to at least one of the fabulous, mile long, white powder beaches! You won't get what Anguilla is about from the ferry dock area alone!

PA
3. Re: grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

Thanks Smithlack and MaryGG! Appreciate the info and tips!

Pally.

Los Angeles...
4. Re: grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

Ashley's in Blowing Point is a full service grocery store (no liquor) - I wouldn't attempt to walk it from the FBI.

This trip we did all our shopping at Foods 95 on the W End, very good selection and prices.

As Mary said, you must get a car at least one day to tour the island and see all those fabulous beaches.

Ellen

PA
5. Re: grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

So is there a nice, simple inn anyone can recommend that is on or near one of the nicer beaches, rather than near the ferry dock? I'm so put off by anything that has "resort" or "beach club" in the title. Maybe I'm worrying needlessly, as this island obviously isn't very built up....

Los Angeles...
6. Re: grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

When are you going? Rendezvous Bay Hotel is very nice, on a fantastic beach, but they are closing soon for the summer. Another option for you might be Anguilla Great House - same beach. You can read about the different properties on news.ai

ohio
7. Re: grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

Anguilla Great House is basic,but on beautiful Rendevous Bay and if you call direct you can get better rates than you will find on travel sites - I stayed for 110/nt last April. It has it's own restaurant with ok food and Cuisinart is just down the beach. Not sure if Cedar Grove will be open when RBH shuts down in July. Allamanda and Serenity are on the quiet end of Shoal Bay. Have stayed at Allamanda, they all have kitchens and it is steps from Gwen's, Zara's is on the property for dinner and the busy part of Shoal Bay is about 10 minutes around the beach on foot.

Ferryboat Inn has received really good reviews, but I agree it would be sad to spend the entire week there with the working ferry dock right down the beach. The others are better choices if you are going to park in one place and Shoal Bay gives you more options during the day. Allamanda even has a grill outside you can use.

Dina

Port St. Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
reviews: 1
8. Re: grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

Ashley Supermarket opened up a large store in Blowing Point last year, so no need to go to the Valley.

PA
9. Re: grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

Planning to go first week in May - is this a good time to visit? Allamanda Beach Club looks nice and laid-back.

Pally.

New York, NY
reviews: 3
10. Re: grocery shopping from the Ferryboat Inn

Pally,

The Ferryboat Inn beach is perfectly nice; the ferries don't travel often, and you can walk around the point so you don't face St. Martin. You can walk to the Grocery store. It's about a 10 or 15 minute walk.

You are also a short way away (50 minute walk or five-minute car ride) from the Rendevous Bay Hotel, which is one of the nicest Caribbean beaches I've ever seen. Still, it will be a hot and sweaty walk to the Rendevous. You would probably be able to taxi over to Rendevous if you wanted. But I still recommend a car because Anguilla is so much fun to explore. A good vegan option would probably be Picante, a Mexican spot opened by a guy from the San Francisco Bay area. The prices there are very reasonable too. You do need a car to get to Picante. Lots of places in Anguilla also serve good salads.

Ferryboat Inn's kitchens are very well-equipped, and Marjorie is just a fantastically nice person. Be forewarned, however, that the selection in grocery stores is nothing like the States, and Caribbean groceries do not have as good a selection as the local Caribbean restaurants get when they buy food wholesale. Groceries can be quite expensive in the Caribbean, and Anguilla is no exception.