We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anguilla Trip this August

dallas
Anguilla Trip this August

My wife and I are staying at the Cap Juluca in Anguilla from August 18th to August 25th. I am interested in any opinions on the main attractions and best restaurants to visit. Also, based on the most recent reviews of Cap Juluca, it looks like CuisinArt might be overtaking it as THE top hotel on the island. We are there for 8 days so I am now thinking about splitting up our time and staying 1/2 our trip at CuisinArt. Any oppinions on this? I appreciate the help.

Columbus Ohio
1. Re: Anguilla Trip this August

First, the restaurant issue. For such a tiny island, Anguilla has some of the best restaurants in the Caribbean. You can't go wrong with Oliver's, Mango's, Blanchard's, Frangipani, or Tasty's. Overlook is also good, as is the restaurant at the La Sirena resort (can't remember the name). Trattoria Tramonto on Shoal Bay West does a great lunch.

Second, Cap Juluca vs. Cuisinart. I've stayed at both and enjoy them both for different reasons. Cap Juluca has one of the prettiest settings I've ever seen. Maunday's Bay is beautiful, the water is calm for swimming, and the beach is long and deep. The Cap also has two great restaurants ... Pimm's and George's on the beach. Cuisinart, in my opinion, is less stuffy than the Cap. The atmosphere seems to be more relaxed. The beach, Rendezvous, is good, the restaurants are very good, and the rooms are bright and roomy. Cuisinart also has a wonderful spa right there on the property.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either.

dallas
2. Re: Anguilla Trip this August

CarribeanQueen,

Thank you very much for the excellent information. Do you have any other recommendations on things to do? day trips to St. Maarten? day trips to St. Barts? must see places? best beaches? Any recommendations on anything would be greatly appreciated. I think so far we are planning on a sunset cruise, scuba diving, snorkeling, riding horses and going to the dolphin park. We are very excited about our trip!

San Mateo
3. Re: Anguilla Trip this August

Hi -

This is a bit off topic so I hope you don't mind. I am thinking of going to Anguilla for my honeymoon - I've been leaning towards CuisinArt versus Cap Juluca - Are both a good honeymoon destination? We are looking to be pampered in a luxurious enivornment.

My other question is in regards to the time of year that we are going - End of August/First week of Sept. - I hear this is hurricane season and this is the worst times to go in terms of heat/weather.

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciative?

dallas
4. Re: Anguilla Trip this August

I am not expert on Anguilla since my first trip there will be in August, however I have done extensive research and it looks like to me that Cap Juluca was the absolute premier top rated resort on this isaland but now it has become quite dated and CuinArt is right up there with it or surpassing it. If you read through all the reviews on tripadvisor then you wonder why Cap Juluca is rated #1 on here and CuisinArt is rated #2 because the reviews overall are better for CuisinArt. If you trip is very long you might want to try both hotels or sinc the island is so small you can certainly spend time at both. But, it looks to me like CuisinArt is edging out Cap Juluca overall these days. But, like I said I'm no expert. Maybe others can provide better info.

Also, I have not run across anyone who has said that there is a high probability or running into rain/hurricanes/bad weather in August - September. From what I understand the island receives very little rain year round so any time you travel there you have a good chance at excellent weather. Also, with all the hurricanes last year the island was not affected.

Have a fantastic trip and congrats on getting married!!!

Massachusetts
reviews: 84
5. Re: Anguilla Trip this August

Hi- I stayed at Cap Juluca and it would be an incredible honeymoon desintation. I would totally disagree and say that Cap is not dated. We had an incredible room and would go back in a second. Top notch resort. I havent been to Cuisinart.

If you choose Cap, you won't be sorry.

Columbus Ohio
6. Re: Anguilla Trip this August

dallas12 ...

Anguilla is "total relaxation central"! But if you looking for somethng to do ... boat trips are fun and there are plenty of people on the island who can take care of that for you. You can also do a tour of the Pyrat rum factory. The concierge at your resort can take care of that for you. A day trip to St. Martin is a great idea. Great duty-free shopping in both Marigot on the French side and Phillipsburg on the Dutch. And St. Martin is just a 15 minute ferry boat away. I believe Cap Juluca has a 9-hole golf course, if you're so inclined. And if you stay at Cuisinart, there are cooking classes, and wonderful spa delights. And lunch at Scilly Cay is a must-do. If you are beach people, there are plenty on Anguilla. You can do a beach a day and find something different in each beach you visit. And don't forget a trip to Johnno's for music and dancing.