We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anguilla questions

Which Anguilla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
reviews: 3
Anguilla questions

We are thinking about a trip to Anguilla based on reading many reviews and would be our first to the Caribbean. Could someone please describe the wildlife there in terms of bugs, mosquitos, iguanas, dogs, snakes, animals, etc. We would be mostly in the beach area and would expect some but my wife says the less the better. We had our choices narrowed to St. John, Turks, and Anguilla but nixed St. john since we want to stay right on the beach and not have to drive everywhere and Caneel Bay is too expensive.

Toronto
1. Re: Anguilla questions

Anguilla has indigenous iguanas and gekko lizards and other dinosaur looking things in the gardens.

The Anguilla Long Dog is the local "breed."

The island is famed for its wild goats, there everywhere.

But the big question is mosquitos. There are salt ponds and low-lying bodies of water where they breed. Resorts have bug spray in the rooms. Use it.

Rochester, Michigan
reviews: 5
2. Re: Anguilla questions

Anguillan "wildlife" is pretty harmless in my experience--even the dogs are all pretty friendly and tend to ignore you unless you encourage them. I have seen the iguanas and lizards--all small and very quick to leave if you get close. Only real bugs I have seen are a few mosquitos at night and repellant discourages them. I have never seen a snake--but can't guarantee that they aren't there. I have seen a couple of cows some chickens and of course the local goats. You will not regret a trip to Anguilla, it is so beautiful with the friendliest people in the Caribbean.