We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good (but not too expensive) Caribbean Resorts

Which Caribbean hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
baltimore, md
reviews: 9
Good (but not too expensive) Caribbean Resorts

We are thinking of meeting friends from the UK at a resort in the Caribbean late this summer (most likely late July or sometime in August).

We will have 3 kids under 5 years old between us. They have been to Barbados before and we have been to the BVI before (we loved it).

We'd love somewhere that is relatively easy to get to (we are East Coast) that isnt horribly expensive. We dont need a huge resort (in fact dont prefer those) but if it fits the bill, thats fine. We are all beach people, so a good beach with some trees for some shade and the options of a few activities (watersports) and a nearby bar or restuarant and we are set!

Questions are:

1. Will it be too hot that time of year? (Also worried about hurricanes)

2. Where to go? There are so many islands and so many choices!

3. Any specific hotel or resort ideas are appreciated! (Or places that would NOT be a good fit)

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
reviews: 85
1. Re: Good (but not too expensive) Caribbean Resorts

1. July is pretty hot in the Caribbean, but often it is just as hot in New York! I personally do not mind it at all.

2. You mentioned that the island should be easy to get to. Islands/areas that have nonstop flights from both London and the US East Coast are: Aruba, Antigua, Barbados, Cancun, Grenada, Jamaica, Nassau, St. Kitts, St. Lucia and Tobago. Some of these nonstops may be seasonal or run only a few times per week.

3. What is your budget for accommodations?

One area that immediately came to mind is Tulum, Mexico. Tulum has a beautiful, long stretch of white sandy beach with clear turquoise water. I think it is a good place for kids. It's a very laid back area, quiet, serene and relaxing.

I love Barbados and think it's a great choice, but if your friends have already been there you may want to go somewhere new.

The BVIs are among my favorite islands in the Caribbean, but not necessarily easy to get to - especially for Europeans.

Take a look at Manchebo beach resort in Aruba. It's on a gorgeous white sand beach, which is in the quieter, more serene part of Aruba. The sunsets are gorgeous. There are restaurants and bars nearby. I think it would be a good place for kids, but there are no big kids clubs like you would find at the large all-inclusive resorts (which I don't care for personally).

Depending on your budget, I can offer more advice on accommodations.

Regards.

baltimore, md
reviews: 9
2. Re: Good (but not too expensive) Caribbean Resorts

Hi luv4travelNJ- thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, I think as long as it isnt any hotter than the weather on the East Coast, we'd be ok. And, I know the islands are more prone to have nice breezes too.

I know that flying into Barbados or Antigua is a main route for BA, so that would help our friends. I think we could all bear one additional short flight if needed, but I guess it depends on the destination.

I dont know that any of us would be that keen to go to Mexico right now given all the unrest there. Seems like there are plenty of other places to go with no worry of that...

We dont need anywhere with a big kids club or anything like that. The kids are fine to be with us the whole time - I guess I put that more to ensure that we dont try to book at a place that doesnt welcome kids or they are not allowed. We dont care for huge, mega resorts either. The thought of staying somewhere like Atlantis in the Bahamas sounds awful to me.

At this point we have no set budget. We happy to spend a decent amount of money to go where we think is a good fit and somewhere we will like. Maybe $300 a night or less? Then we were also wondering if it might not be better to look at a house somewhere on a beach.

Thanks again for your help

3. Re: Good (but not too expensive) Caribbean Resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:47 am, June 11, 2013