We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed bugs. How to avoid

new zealand
reviews: 311
Bed bugs. How to avoid

We have travelled the world without encountering bed bugs and then on our own back door step get savagely attacked by bed bugs while staying in the cabins at mistletoe bay. How can we avoid this in the future? has anyone tried the bed bug travel sprays. Do they work? What other precautions can be taken?

Takapuna, New...
reviews: 34
1. Re: Bed bugs. How to avoid

I don't know about any sprays, but staying out of bed should work.

TN
reviews: 45
2. Re: Bed bugs. How to avoid

We always pull back the bed coverings and examine the mattress - especially around the seams at the head and foot of the bed. We do this even in luxury hotels because you never know. Make sure you don't take them home with you!

Edited: 10:04 am, October 27, 2012
new zealand
3. Re: Bed bugs. How to avoid

That is the problem. We didnt know about the bed bugs. Always thought it was a backpakcing problem in hostels. Never ever thought to check. We are regular trampers, staying in huts and backpackers. And also travelled the world staying in basic huts to 4 star places. Never had any problems. we thought the bites were mosquitoe at first and it took 3 to 5 days for the bites to appear.

by this time all our bedding, duvets, bags, sheets, pillows have been brought home and put away. There is potential for our house to have them in every room. I have fumigated the car first. Bit Im travelling wary next time. I wasnt cheap accommodation for us. Have since learned the accommodation provider has ongoing probs with bed bugs.

Falls Church...
4. Re: Bed bugs. How to avoid

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Since you are already back home, here's an article that talks about what to look for in your home to see if you might have an infestation, and what to do:

http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Bed-Bugs

For future trips, this link has some good tips on how to inspect your hotel room:

http://www.frommers.com/articles/7253.html

An important point in the article is don't put your suitcase on the bed. That's an easy way for them to get into your stuff and then go back home with you. When you aren't using your suitcase, keep it closed (I haven't previously packed all my clothes in plastic bags as recommended in this article, but after reading this myself I might start doing that.....)--and check the pockets and seams before you leave to make sure no bugs have found their way in.

new zealand
5. Re: Bed bugs. How to avoid

Ive done a lot of research on bed bugs after our experience. I have purchased some permethrin treatment kit for fabric and also permethrin spray. It was originally devised for army use. And is safer to use that chemicals on the skin. The permethrin bonds firmly to the fibres of fabric, so that potential for skin absorption is negligible. I have applied this to our bags and suitcases, also nightwear. I originally purchased it for mosquitoes repellant as we travelled through ASIA. But it also kills bedbugs so will have a dual purpose. I have it in a trigger spray bottle so easy to apply. Although I used the liquid form for trousers and soaked them in it.

6. Re: Bed bugs. How to avoid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, February 12, 2014