We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which lagoon tour?

Which Arorangi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
59 posts
217 reviews
which lagoon tour?

I'm deciding between Koka Lagoon Cruises and Captain Tam's Lagoon Cruises in Rarotonga. Both are 70 NZD for 3.5 hours on glass bottom boats, with snorkeling, and lunches included.

Any opinions on which is better?

7 replies to this topic
1. Re: which lagoon tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, July 04, 2012
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: which lagoon tour?

We have done Captain Tama's and they were brillant. Excellent day out with snorkelling, bbq lunch real yummy and a wee show - climbing coconut tree, tieing sarong. Full of laughs all day. We went on recomendation and Captain Tamas was recommended to us. Havent heard anything about Koka.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: which lagoon tour?

We went with Koka Lagoon and had a fabulous time. The staff are friendly and very entertaining, the snorkelling was marvelous and the lunch was lovely.

Captain Tama's looked pretty similar, and left from a couple of hundred metres down the beach, and had lunch right next to Koka Lagoon's lunch spot. The only difference I could see was that Captain Tama's had around 3 boats doing the cruise together, whereas Koka Lagoon had just the one boat, so possibly a more intimate experience

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: which lagoon tour?

Hi, I havent been on either of them.... but Ive seen them go out a lot

They both leave from the same place...

They both go to the same place to snorkel...

They both go to the same island for BBQ lunch...

The differences that I saw were:

Tamas was busier, generally 3 boats, Koka had 1

Kokas left at 10.15 am, and Tamas at 11

So I'd choose based on time and whether you want a small or larger group!

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: which lagoon tour?

Kokas is best by far the staf were far more attentive and they got you involved far more, captain tamas you don't get the personal attention

Level Contributor
59 posts
217 reviews
6. Re: which lagoon tour?

I originally posed this question on this forum and would like to report that we just returned from our vacation. We were on the Paul Gauguin cruise ship.

We had a really hard time trying to decide what to do while in Rarotonga and ended up booking and excursion with the cruise line - Muri Lagoon Cruise. This turned out to be with Captain Tam's.

It was advertised as a glass bottom boat ride and snorkel. Yes, we were in a glass bottom boat, but it was more less used as a boat to transport us to the snorkeling location and not as anything scenic. It was also very crowded on the boat. As most cruise ship excursions are, it was a huge rip off at $115 per person and only lasted a few hours.

If I were going to Rarotonga again, I would have skipped any water activities and gone for a 4x4 ride. We went to Autitaki the follow day and the snorkeling there was far superior to anything around Rarotonga.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
7. Re: which lagoon tour?

Hi, we have done both and preferred Koka Lagoon Cruises. The reason for us is that the Koka boys were just so very friendly and accommodating. The Captain Tama cruise was good too (essentially the same) but they just seemed to be "going through the motions" and their show just seemed really reherrsed, you could tell that they do the same thing every day. Also, the Koka cruise is a little cheaper $10 I think and they leave at 10am, rather than 11am so we got back early afternoon, enough time to get back to our bungalow for a siesta before happy hour! Most important!

Reply to: which lagoon tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arorangi