We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Vinalhaven, North Haven or Islesboro

NJ
reviews: 22
Ferry to Vinalhaven, North Haven or Islesboro

We are visiting Rockport mid June. Depending on weather would like to take a day trip preferably without a car. Which island would you recommend? Would like to be able to walk a little bit getting off the ferry. I am not good riding a bike but was wondering if we could rent golf carts or if there are taxis to tour the islands.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 129
1. Re: Ferry to Vinalhaven, North Haven or Islesboro

First, a slight disclaimer... it's been a couple of years since I visited any of these islands, so things may have changed a bit in details, but in general... From what you've said you're looking for, I'd go with Vinalhaven....

Islesboro is probably the most residential of the three islands -- but tends to be more spread out with less of a village center. There isn't a lot of development (think: things to do) in the immediate vicinity of the Ferry Terminal, save for a small park and perhaps a small museum immediately adjacent to the ferry landing. North Haven is a working island with less commercial activity (read: visitor attractions/services) which makes it a great destination for a multi-day stay, but slightly less attractive than Vinalhave for a day trip.

By comparison, most of Vinalhaven's village area is within half a mile of the ferry terminal, with a mostly-flat walk along a walking path or sidewalk connecting the two. The village itself has shops, restaurants and other services, although I don't think I remember there being a taxi on the island.

Whichever island you choose, be sure to catch the last ferry back to the mainland on whatever day you're there. People have found themselves stranded on the island overnight because they missed the last ferry of the day -- or have ended up paying for a friendly fisherman to make the round-trip to the mainland and back (not an inexpensive proposition).

NJ
reviews: 22
2. Re: Ferry to Vinalhaven, North Haven or Islesboro

Thanks so much for the info. I did some more checking and also came to the conclusion that Vinalhaven would be the best. Looks like a nice little village to walk around in with places to have lunch. We'll make sure not to miss the last ferry.

3. Re: Ferry to Vinalhaven, North Haven or Islesboro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 10, 2014