We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport to Portland - best route and stops along the way

los angeles
reviews: 5
Newport to Portland - best route and stops along the way

Hi, we'll be driving from Eugene to Newport on a Sunday in July (next week!). We plan to drive directly to Florence and Yachats and end up in Newport for 2 nights. Then we drive back to Portland. I see various routes we could take back to Portland, including going all the way to Tillamook or to Cannon Beach.

Can you give me some ideas of the best route if we just want to make a few stops to see some beautiful sights, short walks or see a cute town area? We don't want to spend the entire day driving and the Tillamook Factory tour seems.....well, cheesy. (forgive me!) thanks so much.

And all suggestions for favorite sites or stops along this part of the coast (Florence north to wherever we turn east!) are appreciated. I have photocopied guidebooks, so interested in suggestions that may not be in guidebooks or aren't explained well in them.

thanks so much!

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
reviews: 91
1. Re: Newport to Portland - best route and stops along the way

I would continue on north to Tillamook. Yes, skip the cheese factory tour, but you might enjoy the Tillamook Air Museum. It's just south of town in a World War II blimp hanger.

Consider taking the Three Capes Loop toward Pacific City just north of Neskown where Hwy 101 turns inland. It will take you to Pacific City, Cape Lookout and Cape Meares and back to Tillamook. Somewhat more interesting scenery than the stretch along 101.

From Tillamook, head toward Portland on Hwy 6. It's a lovely drive along the Wilson River and not nearly as much traffic and Hwys 18 or 26. About 10 miles east of Tillamook, stop at the Tillamook Forest Center - www.tillamookforestcenter.org. It's really quite nice and you will learn some fascinating history about the area.

Portland, OR
reviews: 44
2. Re: Newport to Portland - best route and stops along the way

Kitters provided some good advice. I do think Tillamook cheddar is the best in the world but the cheese factory is extremely touristy. I still enjoy stopping there from time to time but prefer Blue Heron. They have a squillion delicious food items to taste such as jams, mustards, cheese and other gourmet goodies. You can also do a wine tasting there. They have several bottles open and you can choose which ones you want to taste for a nominal fee.

In Newport, I highly recommend a stop at Nana's Pub, especially if the weather is nice and you can sit on the deck. It is in the Nye Beach area. The beaches to the south of the bridge are great for walking for miles without seeing many people. South Beach and Lost Creek State Park are a couple of my favorites. Also, the South Beach Fish Market just to the south of the bridge has amazing halibut fish and chips and you can eat outside.

los angeles
reviews: 5
3. Re: Newport to Portland - best route and stops along the way

thank you so much. I have printed out these suggestions and they are very helpful.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
4. Re: Newport to Portland - best route and stops along the way

Tillamook Cheese Factory is not a big time consumer, so why not stop to look. And for our family best cheddar there is. And they have good ice cream. Our son was in Omaha for almost 10 years. we always had to take a brick or two of Tillamook cheese to them when we went.

And I sure agree Tillamook Forest Center along OR-6 is a great stop. They do very nice job telling story of forest management in fairly short visit

Edited: 7:54 pm, July 02, 2013
5. Re: Newport to Portland - best route and stops along the way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 04, 2014