We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV trip along Oregon coast in July - help needed please :O

reviews: 46
RV trip along Oregon coast in July - help needed please :O

Hello! We are a family of six (kids are 14, 12, 10, 6) and we are heading up to Tacoma to see family. We have 10 days to travel along the Oregon coast, and would love any advice / suggestions of places to stay and visit, and any 'must see spots.' (We will camp in the RV at state parks, and will be eating simply.) We will be starting in LA, but will take the 5 up to Redding and head to the 101 from there via 299. We will be doing day hikes, playing by the beach, and stopping at points of interest along the way. We will be leaving July 6th and would like to be at Tacoma by July 18th. Thank you for your help!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
1. Re: RV trip along Oregon coast in July - help needed please :O

Hi there- I think your plan of just going up hwy 101 will be fine. Not sure if you were planning on making reservations for your RV, places to overnight, but if you havent made them by now, you will have to be flexible in where you stay. Its prime vacation time, Id recommend reservations if you can...

if you cant find state parks available, be open to private RV parks and possibly siuslaw forest service on the central coast(depending on how big your rig is)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 787
2. Re: RV trip along Oregon coast in July - help needed please :O

I've been RVing for many years. There are *over 100* RV parks and campgrounds along the Oregon coast within just a copule of miles of Hwy 101, so if you cannot get into some of the popular state parks, don't worry! If you click on the link below you will see a list of all the campgrounds and RV parks on the Oregon coast:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c194822/Oreg…

How large is your rig? MH or trailer? The reason I ask is that Hwy 299 from Redding is a slow, very winding road for mush of it. An alternative route that I have taken several times is I-5 to Hwy 20, then across and north on 101. In an RV, you will average just about the same speed on 101 that you will on I-5.

reviews: 46
3. Re: RV trip along Oregon coast in July - help needed please :O

We will be in a 29' motorhome towing a jeep. Route 299 does look windy but we had driven the 101 up to Fort Bragg and up to the Rogue River last year, and thought maybe we could try something different, but we will reconsider! Regarding the RV sites, I know it is super last minute so we will just take what we can find. We mainly want to soak in as many views, beaches, towns, and strolls as we can, at a leisurely pace. I guess our actual itinerary will depend on whatever sites we can nail down at this late date. Thank you for your help!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 787
4. Re: RV trip along Oregon coast in July - help needed please :O

Fort Bragg is on Highway 1 and very winding and slow, but gorgeous!

Edited: 12:36 am, June 30, 2013
5. Re: RV trip along Oregon coast in July - help needed please :O

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 02, 2014