We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

UK
reviews: 17
Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

Hi,

As part of our 17 day US road trip in September we have 8 nights to travel from Vancouver BC to San Francisco. I envisage we would spend 3 or 4 of those nights on the Oregon Coast. Would be grateful for any suggestions of suitable places to visit and/or stay.

It’s just the two of us and we enjoy a little light hiking and just generally taking in the wonderful scenery. We would certainly be interested in a whale watching boat trip.

With regard to accommodation, would it be possible to book as we go, or is pre booking advised – especially for weekends. We are more than happy with standard US chain hotels but are equally happy to try out some “non chain” accommodation.

Grateful for any advice.

27 replies to this topic
Missouri
reviews: 29
1. Re: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

As regards your desire to do some "light hiking", let me suggest that you get a copy of "Day Hikes Oregon Coast" by Bonnie Henderson. It has over 100 hikes of varying lengths and difficulty. It is also valuable as regards "sight-seeing" because the hikes include lighthouses and state parks.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 758
2. Re: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

As long as you don't have your hearts set on deluxe, oceanfront accommodation, you should be fine not booking ahead. There are lots of older, smaller, family-owned motels in nearly all coastal towns that will have rooms.

Are you familiar with the review lists here on TripAdvisor? I'd suggest reading those to get a general idea of what is available in each town along the way.

The more scenic towns are (north to south):

Astoria

Cannon Beach

Wheeler

Garibaldi

Depoe Bay

Newport

Yachats

Bandon

Gold Beach

Brookings

Click on this blue link to get a thumbnail sketch of all towns:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c152249/Oreg…

Carrie Newell in Depoe Bay is highly recommended for whale watching.

reviews: 717
3. Re: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

In Seaside check out Tides by the Sea and The Lanai. These are smaller hotels with beautiful views of the ocean. You will be close to the entrance of the Tillamook Head trail in this area. www.seasideor.com.

Happy Travels! :)

UK
4. Re: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

Thank you all for your help. The thumbnail sketch of Oregon Coast towns is especially helpful.

At the moment we are looking at spending around two nights in Washington State (after spending three nights in Seattle) , four nights in Oregon, and two nights in Northern California, before spending our final two nights in San Francisco (we have been before). I know it's largely down to personal taste, bit does this seem a sensible breakdown? One option would be to reduce one Washington night and add it to Northern California.

Also, are there parts of the coast that are not quite as interesting or scenic as the rest? ie is it worth spending more time in Northern Oregon than, say, Southern Oregon?

Sorry about all the general questions. As always on these road trips we want to go everywhere and see everything. Wish we could spend more time here

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
5. Re: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

Here's a website to compliment the thumbnail sketch halfBrit provided you:

http://www.oregon101.com/oregoncoast.html

There are three fairly distinctive regions along the coast (north; central; south). Each is both equally beautiful with sections that some might feel are somewhat boring. Determining which will suit you best is something that can only be determined by experiencing them for yourself. Having said that, I don't think you will be disappointed with any of them.

Missouri
6. Re: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

I think your overall itinerary is a good one. Here is a copy of an itinerary that I had previously prepared between Portland and SF. As it so happens, we are going to go the other way.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1438848-i12636-k5…

Missouri
7. Re: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

If you are interested in bike riding, there are lots of rental places near Fisherman's Wharf in SF. It's fun to rent a bike to cross the Golden Gate bridge to eat lunch in Sausalito, and then take the ferry back across the bay.

Carle Place, New...
8. Re: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

We LOVED the Overleaf in Yachats !!!

UK
9. Re: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

Latest plan (after many revisions) is as follows.

After leaving Vancouver BC drive down and spend one night in or near Mount Rainier National Park. Next day on to Colombia River Gorge for the second night. Then head off to Tillamook (or somewhere close by) for the third night, possibly via the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinniville. Fourth night in Yachats and the fifth somewhere near the California border (Brookings?). The next three nights in Northern California – although I would like to keep these flexible in case we end up spending more time in Oregon. Our final two nights will be in San Francisco.

We are a little disappointed that we cannot see more of the North Oregon coastline, but on the other hand are excited about visiting Mt Rainier and the Colombia River Gorge. Overall we hope this is a fairly good balance.

One more thing if I may. I notice that there are quite a few state parks on our route. Are there any stand out must see parks?

Grateful for any advice.

reviews: 717
10. Re: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013

Cape Lookout State Park is not to miss near Tillamook. :)

Reply to: Oregon Coast Road Trip Sep 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted