We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

New York City, New...
reviews: 57
Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

I am visitng Oregon with my wife and can spare 2 or 3 nights on the Oregon coast. We have done the CA coast already and really loved it. So looking for an equally great experience in Oregon.

Can you please suggest an itinerary from Portland?

Which are the best areas to visit. I heard Canon Beach an, Newport and Florence are the must-see. Is that right?

No issues with budget but prefer not to drive more than 4 hours in a day.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
1. Re: Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

When are you coming? The reason I ask is most of the desired lodging options in Cannon Beach have a two night minimum during the summer.

With only up to three days (2 nights?) you should consider just picking one place, such as Cannon Beach, and touring from there. There is PLENTY to do and see within an hour or so to keep you busy.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
2. Re: Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

What did you like best about the California coast? There is a huge variety there, so if you mention an area or town that you liked, we can help you choose a similar area in Oregon.

The three areas you menioned are all quite different from each other!

Florence is slightly inland behind sand dunes ... Cannon Beach is upscale, busy, scenic, compact ... Newport has lots 'to do and see' and is large and somewhat sprawling (for the coast).

New York City, New...
3. Re: Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

Hello - thanks for the speedy response.

In California we loved the Big Sur and the town of Carmel. Seems Canon Beach is where I should stay and then drive down to the Newport area. What are some suggestion for some things to do In Newport?

Which beach is the best to visit?

Edited: 10:54 am, June 25, 2013
New York City, New...
4. Re: Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

We will be visiting in the middle of July.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
5. Re: Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

Cannon Beach to Newport will take a minimum of three hours, straight driving, in summer traffic. That doesn't leave a lot of time to see the sights in Newport, let alone those in between!

Okay, now that I got that off of my chest, here is a list of some of my favorite things to do in Newport:

Walk the Historic Nye Beach area

Yaquina Head Lighthouse

Yaquina Bay Lighthouse (TOTALLY different)

Mark O. Hatfield Marine Sciences Center

Oregon Coast Aquarium

Walk the Bayfront

New York City, New...
6. Re: Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

Which is the most scenic section of the Oregon coast?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
7. Re: Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

There are three sections that are often considered to be the "best of the best". They are:

Cannon Beach to ~Tillamook

Yachats to ~Florence

Port Orford to Brookings

Each section has it's own unique features that makes it stand out above the rest, so to pick the "most scenic" is akin to picking the best flavor of ice cream.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
8. Re: Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

Hmmm, Newport is not at all like Big Sur/Carmel. You might look into staying in Yachats, although Yachats has very little "to do" in the way of organized activities/attractions like Newport. It's also less than 10% Newport's size ;-)

If you liked Carmel, you'll like Cannon Beach.

Best beach? All of Oregon's beaches are clean and scenic!

9. Re: Oregon Coast Drive & Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 28, 2014