We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Vancouver

London, United...
San Francisco to Vancouver

Hi,

I'm planning a two week trip in mid July, starting in San Fran and ending in Vancouver. I'd like to spend a few days in both cities, as well as a couple of days in both Portland and Seattle. I'd really appreciate any suggestions as to what else to visit within the timescale we have. Would love see some of the coastline (ideally warm beach, and also redwood forest). We were thinking of driving from San Fran to Portland, then taking trains from Portland to Seattle, and Seatte to Vancouver. Is this realistic/advisable?

Any thoughts, suggestions etc would be very welcome.

Thanks

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 758
11. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver

Bueller01, Highway 101 north of Trinidad, Calif goes smack dab right through the center of all the towns, except Cannon Beach. So you "can't miss them"!

Avenue of the Giants is old Highway 101. It was bypassed before my time, around 1960. It is not pristine "wilderness" - it has a lot of private property, ranches, busineses, etc even small towns along it. There are some sections which are more "empty", but one rarely feels as if you are out in the empty woods, so to speak - at least the many times I've been on it I don't.

Newton Drury parkway is also old Highway 101 and I well remember when it was the *only* highway, full of RVs, big trucks and traffic! It now does give one most of the feeling of being in the wilderness as there is no private property and/or businesses along it. It's usually very quiet with not many cars. There are many trails that are smooth, level footpaths, true "hiking" is not required ;-)

Howland Hill Road is dirt and narrow, much much slower than the other two and has a completely different feel to it. It's about 6 miles long is all. You get a true feeling of being in a forest of giant trees, as there is no pavement. The road can be potholed and rough in spots.

Having been to all three numerous times, on a tight time schedule I'd opt for Newton Drury. The alternative route is the "new' freeway which is fast, efficient and somewhat boring as there are lots of conifers but few redwoods along it.

As I mentioned in post #4, you will go right through redwoods without ever leaving Highway 101. North of Klamath all the way up to Crescent City you'll be in a mostly redwood-forested area. Then you'll go through younger growth on the long straight stretch between Crescent City and Smith River. By the way - *watch* your speed on this stretch as it's usually heavily patrolled!

12. Re: San Francisco to Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 27, 2014