We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

Corvallis, Oregon
Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

I have a mobility impaired friend visiting and she would like to spend some time sitting on the beach. All of the beaches I have been to along the coast have numerous steps going down to the beach or you have to clamber over loose sand dunes to get to the beach, neither of which she can handle. Are there any public beaches where you can park your car and walk on level ground to get to the beach?

Appreciate any help you can give me.

17 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
11. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

Hi MoreGrace N and welcome to TripAdvisor. It's great to have a Lincoln City local on board :-)

12. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, June 26, 2013

Corvallis, Oregon
13. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

Want to thank everyone again who replied and gave me some good suggestions. We actually did go on the beach at Pacific City and had lunch at the Pelican Pub and Brewery - fabulous!

Rather than deal with the beach access elsewhere we ended up spending the night at a place in Lincoln City with a deck overlooking the beach. The hotel had some rather steep steps down to the beach but my friend was able to do one trip down there to walk the beach. The best part was relaxing on the deck watching the sunset and listening to the crashing surf. She loved her time at the beach.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
14. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

How nice of you to take the time to let us know your trip was a success, Nancy0319. So glad your friend had a great time :-)

Salem, Oregon
15. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

Thank you all for providing the same valuable information that I need too. More questions:

For the ramp at Nye Beach - is it steep? In other words, if I'm pushing a wheelchair, will it be a fight to keep it from flying down with my husband's weight and my tired arms - and then a Herculean effort to get him back up a very long ramp? For Quarry Cove, if they let me drive him to the end of the paved road, will we be able to get out of the car and move around a bit?

I appreciate all the help, too. We'd sure like to do more than gaze at the beautiful ocean from the car.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
16. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

MaryE--Yes, the ramp at Nye Beach is pretty steep, but we did see a couple there with a wheelchair about a week ago. But if you are unsure at all, I would not attempt it. There is an area at the base of the parking lot there where you can sit and overlook the beach. It is like a very wide sidewalk area, but it is flat. So better than from the car, but not quite right onto the beach. One option would be if you saw anyone that you were comfortable with asking for help. I know many people would offer without hesitating.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
17. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

Hi Mary E and welcome to TripAdvisor. I'm in Nye Beach usually once a week and yes, that ramp is pretty steep. I know there is a parking area at Quarry Cove but I'm not sure how much easy level "walking around" area there is.

Are you looking for mainly "beach" areas that you can access with a wheelchair? There are several beach/ocean viewpoints that I can give you directions to for views.

Are you visiting any coastal areas other than Newport? It's pretty cloudy and cool today, with fog in some spots.

Reply to: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted