We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

Corvallis, Oregon
Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

I have a mobility impaired friend visiting and she would like to spend some time sitting on the beach. All of the beaches I have been to along the coast have numerous steps going down to the beach or you have to clamber over loose sand dunes to get to the beach, neither of which she can handle. Are there any public beaches where you can park your car and walk on level ground to get to the beach?

Appreciate any help you can give me.

24 replies to this topic
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
1. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

At Nye Beach in Newport, there is a ramp from the parking lot down to the beach. There is still soft sand there as the ramp does not go all the way down to where it is hard.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 752
2. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

In Pacific City, you can drive right out nearly to the water on the paved parking lot at the Pelican Pub and Brewery. The beach is right there, quite flat.

Farther south in Brookings, you can park right at the beach, then there are about 5 concrete steps down the the level sand, and the water is just about 100 feet away.

Other possibilities -- Bob Creek Wayside a few miles south of Yachats (altough the actual beach is rocky, not sandy) ... Ona Beach between Waldport and Newport ... Arizona Beach between Gold Beach and Port Orford.

I'm sure there are more but these few came quickly to mind.

Oregon's coast is about 400 miles long; do you know which area you'll be visiting?

Edited: 6:43 pm, May 02, 2013
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
3. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

In Pacific City, you can drive on the beach, but be careful. We have seen numerous vehicles (usually large trucks) get towed out as they were stuck in the loose sand. It is flat though. You can also sit at the Pelican Pub on their deck, which goes right out to the sand, and get a bite to eat, etc.

Gearhart also has a beach which you can drive onto, and the nice thing here is that there is a lot of the hard packed sand. No worries about getting a car stuck, or hard to walk through deep, loose sand. Great area for looking for sand dollars as well.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 110
4. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

Another vote here for the beach in Pacific City (Cape Kiwanda), especially the part about sitting outside Pelican Pub with a brew in my hand....at sunset. Can't beat that..

Corvallis, Oregon
5. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful. I had planned on limiting our driving time by concentrating on te coast between Lincoln City and Florence (we'll be coming from Corvallis). I'll check out Nye Beach and the couple of others mentioned near Newport. Pacific City is a possibility, it's about half way between Lincoln City and Tillamook so might not be too bad a drive.

Thanks again.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 752
6. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

Pacific City is about an hour-ish from Newport. Just to be clear, there is a large *paved* parking lot that is essentially right on the beach by the Pelican Pub. I was not suggesting driving "on" the beach; perhaps my post was misunderstood by some readers ;-)

Another thought in Newport is Yaquina Head lighthouse area. Fee area, I think it's $7 per car. There is a paved road that goes down to Quarry Cove. If you have a handicapped placard you can ask (at either the entrance or the interpretive center) for the gate to be opened and drive right down to the bottom. It's not really a "beach" with big waves, but there are often seals right there close up.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
7. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

In addition to the above good advice, the beach at Heceta Head Lighthouse has mobility impared access.

Lincoln City, Oregon
8. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

In Lincoln city there is a beach access you can drive down - call the chamber for the street to take. Also in LC, in nelscott there is a short ramp that takes you right into the beach- no steps!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
9. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

MoreGrace's post reminded me; It is possible to get a handicapped permit from the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department that allows a person with disabilities to drive directly on to the beach at ANY designated vehicle access, even if that section of the beach is closed to motor vehicles.

In most cases, a 4-wheel drive vehicle will be needed, but not in all cases!! You can probably find more information here, or you can call any coastal State Park office:

http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/Pages/index.aspx

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
10. Re: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast

Dengay--That is great information! I am sure that will help a lot of people.

Reply to: Handicap accessible beaches along the coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted