We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days from Astoria to Newport

Greenville, SC
reviews: 8
How many days from Astoria to Newport

My husband and I are traveling to the Pacific Northwest next

Month. We are flying into Seattle on a Sunday and plan to leave around 7am on Monday for Astoria. If we want to hit all the major sites along the coast from Astoria to Newport in a 24 hour period and spend one night somewhere in the middle of the 2 locations can anyone recommend a good iteniraries?

--We would like to stay at a luxury hotel (and the Stephanie Inn is already booked)

--We know we will not have much down time to take in all the beautiful scenery but would rather see as much of the coast as we can before heading to the Willamette Valley. Thanks so much !

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 30
1. Re: How many days from Astoria to Newport

If your standard for luxury is the Stephanie Inn, then I'd suggest you have a look at Whale Cove Inn. But neither it nor the Stephanie Inn are close to half-way between Astoria and Newport. Something closer to midway would be Inn at Cape Kiwanda. We've stayed there and enjoyed it, but it's not in the same league as Stephanie and Whale Cove.

You might ask Inn at Cape Kiwanda about The Cottages at Cape Kiwanda, which they also manage. Kind of a time-share arrangement, but they are available to rent, though I don't know if they'd take a reservation for just one night. My wife and I have walked through them, and they're very nice, set on a low bluff directly above the beach.

reviews: 740
2. Re: How many days from Astoria to Newport

The Whale Cove Inn is a gorgeous property! You may want to check out The Ocean Lodge in Cannon Beach, also. :).

Greenville, SC
3. Re: How many days from Astoria to Newport

Thanks! We figured Stephanie Inn wouldn't be half way in between. What town would be a good stopping point if we anticipate getting to Astoria around 10am and plan to continue on until say 5:00? Thanks again!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 30
4. Re: How many days from Astoria to Newport

That's hard to say without knowing your interests and where you might want to stop. Which is why I suggested Inn at Cape Kiwanda. It's in Pacific City, which is close to midway between Astoria and Newport, about a two hour's drive from Astoria.

If the weather's nice, you'd want to at least go up to the Astor Column and poke around Astoria before heading on down the coast. Next stop on my itinerary would be Ecola State Park and/or Cannon Beach, both of which will take some time. Then, heading south, other possibles would be Arcadia Beach, Hug Point, Short Sands Beach at Oswald West, Manzanita, Nehalem, Wheeler.... No matter how you slice it, you'll just be scratching the surface of all there is to see and do.

reviews: 740
5. Re: How many days from Astoria to Newport

You will have beautiful views from the Astor Column. We were in Astoria yesterday and enjoyed some shopping in the downtown area there and bakery treats at Lindstrom's and Peter Pan Market. There is also an awesome Maritime Museum there if you're interested in that.

www.oldoregon.com is a nice website for Astoria. Have fun! :)

Greenville, SC
6. Re: How many days from Astoria to Newport

Thanks! We love any feedback we can get!

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 300
7. Re: How many days from Astoria to Newport

The Whale Cove Inn, just south of Depoe Bay, certainly qualifies as luxury lodging. You can enjoy a gorgeous view of Whale Cove and the ocean from your private hot tub. Also feast on chef Justin Wills' world-class food at Restaurant Beck on-site. Best restaurant on the Oregon Coast IMO! Best of all, no need to worry about driving after savoring a bottle of good Oregon wine from the wine list.

Greenville, SC
8. Re: How many days from Astoria to Newport

Thanks! We looked at that one, the Channel House, and An Ocean Paradise Whales Rendezvous ??

Dallas, Oregon
9. Re: How many days from Astoria to Newport

Whale Cove Inn gets my nod over Channel House. Don't know much about Ocean Paradise though.

Dallas, Oregon
10. Re: How many days from Astoria to Newport

OK, just checked their website. Based on their photos, it looks like Ocean Paradise Whales Rendezvous is located just across the cove from our Worldmark resort in Depoe Bay. Great location for wave-watching and whale-sighting.

Prices seem comparable to Whale Cove Inn, so I'd say either place would be a good choice. Whatever you decide, I'm certain you will have a great visit to our beautiful Oregon Coast. Enjoy!!