We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Narrows May 25th

Wilson, North...
reviews: 36
The Narrows May 25th

Planning on hiking the Narrows May 25th. I know no one can predict the future but I have read the Narrows normally opens late May. What are my chances the Narrows will be open on May 25th?

5 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
1. Re: The Narrows May 25th

Snowfall hasn't been anything extraordinary. Keep an eye on the snowpack that would be creating the melted water that creates spring flow. No way to predict but you can search around for historical data on waterflow. We've not been there on that date before, but earlier in May when it's usually running pretty hot.

Have fun.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
2. Re: The Narrows May 25th

I will agree that with the indicators I have seen so far, there has been little snow this year in the area, maybe even less than last year, and for sure below average.

May is typically the peak month for flow along the river. It is possible the narrows can open in late May, if i remember right it was only closed for a few days last spring.With the way the winter is going this year, I would say your chances of hiking the narrows is very good. I will mildly dispute the fact that the Narrows normally opens the end of May on an average year, more like sometime in the first half of June. The average mean water flow measured on the Virgin river for the past 25 yrs on record on May 25 is 260 cfs

Dallas
reviews: 1
3. Re: The Narrows May 25th

I'm planning a trip around the same time Does the park keep a record of the day it opens the Narrows every year? Thanks!

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
4. Re: The Narrows May 25th

No, the park does not keep a record. If they do keep a tally, I am not aware of it, or I am not thinking of the right park service currently.

There is a couple of ways to view river flow info. One is to visit www.zionadventures.com and look for their Narrows info. The other way is to visit www.nps.gov/zion and do the same thing. Look for their Narrows info.

The narrows closes when water flow reaches 150 cfs in flow rate. The flow is measured at a station on the Virgin river about a mile or so north of the Zion Canyon visitor center. Once the river flow drops below the 150 cfs flow mark again, the narrows typically stays closed for an additional 24 hours. Here is the USGS chart that everyone uses to tell if the narrows is open or closed>> waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv…

Dallas
reviews: 1
5. Re: The Narrows May 25th

Thanks for the links! I'll be there the first week of June and hoping it works out weather wise. I was there last October to do the Narrows trip and got cancelled due to the shutdown.

Reply to: The Narrows May 25th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted