We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion November 8th week--need answers FAST!

Level Contributor
204 posts
20 reviews
Zion November 8th week--need answers FAST!

ok, son lost his girlfriend of 2 1/2 years, husband layed off from job of 17years...they want to go on a father /son adventure. son off work for seven days starting Nov 8th...ALWAYS wanted to see Zion....will it be a decent time for a trip despite the cooler temps? They will be flying from Alabama to Las Vegas and then driving in...we did it last year...REALLY want to send them. advice?

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
105 reviews
1. Re: Zion November 8th week--need answers FAST!

I do not see any significant reasons not to go. The only thing that will potentially limit your activity options would be snow. Expect night time temps to be approaching the freezing mark in November>> nps.gov/zion/…Weather-Chart-2.pdf

Springdale will be seeing a noticeable decrease in visitors, and the hotel rates will be starting to decrease as well as November is shoulder season in South Utah. There will not be a need to book reservations too far in advance, but maybe book if your family trip is going to be over the weekend. Many nice hotels to choose from, including Desert pearl, Majestic, Driftwood, Cliffrose, and the Best Western. Hotel and dining options can be found at www.zionpark.com.

The Zion narrows is a river based hike popular in the summer months. In the colder months, gear can be rented from a couple of Springdale outfitters that will make this hike enjoyable by keeping you warm and dry. If this sounds like a good option for an activity, then ask the outfitter experts either at Zion Adventures or Zion Rock Guides.

A couple of the area hiking guides can be seen at www.zionnational-park.com and www.citrusmilo.com If the trails leading out of the main canyon are free from ice, then West Rim/Angels landing and East Rim/Observation Point are two must do Zion favorites.

Keep asking questions if you are wanting more specific info

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
12,981 posts
270 reviews
2. Re: Zion November 8th week--need answers FAST!

As noted, should be just fine. Do plan on cool temps and short daylight hours. Look for hikes in the sun. But it's certainly a fine time to go. Layer up and shed them as it warms up. They'll have a great time.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Zion November 8th week--need answers FAST!

Greetings Frogsun,

Yikes!!! Sorry about all of the turmoil. Send them away. Sounds like a great time to clear their mind, seek some solitude and refocus in a calm and inspirational setting.

I would think daytime highs will be between mid forties and fifties. Overnight lows in the thirties. Of course it will be impossible to predict with any type of certainty, this far out. Just keep checking the seven day forecast for up to date info. I've been there in the snow and it adds another element of majesty. I think they should definitely go for it. There is an old saying "There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong gear." They'll need layered and warmer clothing.

Smaller crowds will be a plus. They might see more wildlife as a result. Good info about trails and outfitters already mentioned. Hope this helps soothe their souls.

Salt Lake City, Utah
8 posts
4. Re: Zion November 8th week--need answers FAST!

Sounds like a great time for a Father/Son adventure. Zion in November is one of my favorite times to visit...this is mainly because it isn't overly packed with visitors. It is great to enjoy hikes when you practically have the trails to yourself!! Many have mentioned colder temps and I will add in that rain or snow can make they trails muddy and slippery...so make sure to have the right hiking boots for the trip.

Springdale does slow down a bit in Nov (some of the restaurants close) but there will still be plenty of places that stay open (The Bit and Spur and Oscars are 2 of my favorites!)

Hope they have a great get-a way!

5. Re: Zion November 8th week--need answers FAST!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 07, 2014