We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog in the park question

San Diego...
reviews: 27
Dog in the park question

My parents are considering joining us on our trip in 2 weeks. We will be camping at Watchman Campground. I am aware of the rules and regulations for their dog there, and I have also read that the dog cannot (obviously) go in the buildings in the park and only on a few limited trails.

We wouldn't want to leave the dog in the RV all day. (that is just mean!) But we are not sure how we can take her with us since she cannot ride on the shuttle right(?) We want to make sure that this will be an enjoyable trip for them before they come. Leaving their dog at home is not an option...they are *those* pet parents and they would rather just stay home.

Comments? Suggestions? Opinions?

Also, after Zion, we are heading to Bryce and will be doing the same thing, but I do not think we will have a problem because the dog can ride inside the truck with us.

The dog is a big 80 pound American Bulldog puppy, yes...puppy.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: Dog in the park question

The only trail that dogs are allowed on is the Pa Rus trail. Dogs are not allowed on the shuttles or in the buildings.

Just outside Springdale is Doggy Dude Ranch, a day care for dogs.

www.doggyduderanch.com

San Diego...
2. Re: Dog in the park question

Do people walk their dogs in to the park?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 137
3. Re: Dog in the park question

Thats the only way unless you can find a parking spot at Canyon Junction.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
reviews: 148
4. Re: Dog in the park question

You can park at the Visitor Center parking lot--I think that's the Canyon Junction lot that RedRox refers to. The lot is pretty empty in the morning and evening, but you'll likely have to wait for a spot to open if you arrive mid-day. From that lot you can walk to the start of the Pa'Rus Trail. It is a nice walk, but not fantastic. That is the only walk you can bring a dog on. At Bryce the dog can walk along the Rim Trail which is short and scenic.

I don't know when you're going, but Zion can get quite hot. We have a snub-nosed dog too and elected not to bring him on our July '13 road trip because of heat concerns. Snub-nosed dogs don't handle heat well at all.

Newark, Delaware
reviews: 70
5. Re: Dog in the park question

We saw a family walking a dog from The Grotto onto the Kayenta trail (right by signs that say, "no dogs"). We were wondering how they got there.

It would not be ideal, but walking along the road can still be nice as it is only trafficked by the shuttles every few minutes. It would be a long walk to get back there, but we walked from Weeping Rock to Big Bend and it was actually pretty nice. That was as much solitude as we got in the park and you get a good look at things instead of just riding by. Taking him down to the river every so often could help keep him cool, and some of the road is shaded. Maybe take him for a walk in the morning and then return him to the RV for a few hours while you explore the park more (or vice versa). The Watchman Campground is right at the entrance so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to go back or maybe just your parents could go back and you could keep on. Really, just staying at the Watchman all day would still be nice and better than most camping experiences; it is a pretty area, just not as spectacular as deeper into the park.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 97
6. Re: Dog in the park question

Zion and Bryce are not really that pet friendly. To get your full enjoyment of the National parks, either consider leaving your pet with kind people that you know, or plan ahead to board your pet at one of the nearby facilities convenient to each park. If not, you are definitely doing the right thing by planning ahead and learning how to enjoy the limited amount of park with your pet.

Having said this, there will always be the self centered, ignorant pet owners, which the family described by BBnugget above may fall into. While most owners and pets do not cause an issue, there are still those pets/owners that do, and that is why the restrictions are in place.

San Diego...
7. Re: Dog in the park question

Thanks for the info. My dad is in to fishing, so he may just take the truck and go out to the lake area somewhat nearby for the day. We definitely want to make sure that we follow all the rules and also make it enjoyable for everyone involved.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 137
8. Re: Dog in the park question

Most of the major national parks are not pet friendly. Pet safety is one of the primary reasons. The dog observed inside the park could very well have been a service animal. Be careful not to prejudge.

San Diego...
9. Re: Dog in the park question

I totally understand how people think that their dog does not fall in to the "no dogs allowed rule". It always bothers me when I am shopping in the mall and I have to be careful not to trip on some mini-fido on a leash in the Nordstrom even though they have signs posted or when there is some dog growling at me while I have my lunch inside a restaurant from a pet stroller. Drives me BONKERS....

With that, service animals are almost always well behaved, and mild tempered. Now there was one girl in college that used to bring a "service poodle" with her to class and it would growl and bark at everyone and chase people on roller blades and skate boards and she could barely control it. I always wondered if it was really a service dog.

Anyways, this is my parents' dog. We travel often and that is why we do not have any pets, but they do...so I am just trying to do my homework for them before we arrive so we all know what we are getting ourselves in to in advance. Thanks for all the information.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 125
10. Re: Dog in the park question

<< You can park at the Visitor Center parking lot--I think that's the Canyon Junction lot that RedRox refers to. The lot is pretty empty in the morning and evening, but you'll likely have to wait for a spot to open if you arrive mid-day. From that lot you can walk to the start of the Pa'Rus Trail. It is a nice walk, but not fantastic. That is the only walk you can bring a dog on.>>

I just want to clarify that the visitor center parking lot and the Canyon Junction lot are two different places. The Pa'rus trail actually runs between and connects them.