We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanab to Zion

Surrey
reviews: 10
Kanab to Zion

We are staying in Kanab and would like to visit Zion Canyon. Do we have to drive to Springdale first to access the visitor centre. Many thanks in advance,

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
1. Re: Kanab to Zion

No you do not have to.

Coming from Kanab, the visitor center would be just before you exit the park and enter the town of Springdale. You would enter the park at the east entrance, pay your fees, then proceed thru the tunnel and down the switchbacks into the main canyon over to the visitor center.

However, coming from Kanab, you can also try to park at Canyon Junction(if there are any spaces) and catch the shuttle up the main canyon from there, rather than starting at the visitor center.

Surrey
2. Re: Kanab to Zion

Thank you for your swift reply. I've discovered that you can drive to the east entrance since posting. I'm a little thrown as my husband has experienced a more extreme version of his dislike of heights since our arrival. He didn't enjoy the drive from St George and I drove to Lake Powell today because of a small section that bothered him. I'm wondering just what to do re. Zion. I'd love to see it but if I drove and he stayed behind; he's admitted he'd worry all day. Do you know of any day tour companies from Kanab? Thanks once again.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
3. Re: Kanab to Zion

I would be curious which section bothered him between St George and Page?That is a fairly tame route. I assume you went 59/389 via Hurricane/Fredonia?

Coming in from the east, I think the only section that would bother him is from the tunnel down the switchbacks to the canyon floor.But if you drove, maybe he could just close his eyes?That part just takes a few minutes.

This is one operator out of the Kanab area I have heard of.

http://www.dreamlandtours.net/day-tours/

Just so you know , guiding is very limited within Zion. They are only allowed on a few select trails.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 89
4. Re: Kanab to Zion

I agree the only questionable section is the one right west of the tunnels as you switchback down to the canyon floor- maybe a 5 minute drive. I'd hate for him to miss the canyon for that reason. There is nothing in the main canyon itself that he would need to worry about as long as he stays on the valley floor, everything goes up from there.

Surrey
5. Re: Kanab to Zion

I've suggested he close his eyes but he says it's more a question of feeling safe. There's one section from St George that went through some small mountains on what seemed to be bridges. I drove to Bryce today and he managed that journey and walked to the path/look outs and stayed long enough for one photo and then he moved away.

Our adult son, who doesn't drive is with us and it's been decided that as long as he goes with me, my husband will stay at our accommodation.

Many thanks for your replies. This escalation has suddenly arrived and it floored me somewhat,

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
6. Re: Kanab to Zion

Too bad. There is no place where the road is unsafe.

I've dealt with height and edge issues before, but Zion is a place where I easily overcame them. It's a shame that your husband will miss this magnificent park over an unjustified perceived fear.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 89
7. Re: Kanab to Zion

I'm glad you will not have to miss that part of your plans. It too bad you cannot go all together but better to adjust your plans and accommodate this newfound fear. Unfortunately in a land of mountains and mesas and valleys there are many places a road must negotiate them. Enjoy the beauty you see.

Newark, Delaware
reviews: 69
8. Re: Kanab to Zion

My wife and dad both have significant height issues and neither could be the driver for sections like from the tunnel down even though it is only a few minutes. As passengers, my dad just doesn't look down and my wife involuntarily leans in, away from the ledges while her muscles lock up. They do not enjoy these sections but would never have passed up seeing the sights that roads like this have allowed. Comparatively to other areas like at Yosemite or other mountainous areas, this is not that bad. It is a very wide road with extra room on the switch backs. It would really be a shame to miss Zion because of this short safe section of road. Maybe try this line that I lovingly use on my wife. "Suck it up, wuss". (It doesn't work, but occasionally makes her laugh).

9. Re: Kanab to Zion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 22, 2014