We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

Leiden, The...
reviews: 10
questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

Hi my name is John and i am from Holland

My wife and I are planning a trip to Las vegas in the beginning of September.

We are going to stay almost two weeks, in that period we are planning a trip to Page Arizona, staying there 1 night, we wanna visit Antelope canyon and horseshoe bend glen canyon.

then 1 night near bryce national park

and then drive to Zion national park and stay there 2 nights, there we wanna make two hikes.

first one will be to Angels landing, and the second one would be observation point or the narrows.

my questions are can we do this with 1 night in Page 1 near bryce national park and 2 in Zion national park?

And what do you think can we do both the hikes to angels landing and observation point? or should we do the angels landing and the narrows?

And how would be the weather? i know during the day it must be warm? but evenings?

Thanks in advance for the advice

John from Holland (ps forgive me for my english its not my native language)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
1. Re: questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

September is normally a nice time of year, weather wise. But you need a little more time. There's more to see and do at Page. Give it an extra night and add the Glen Canyon raft trip. www.raftthecanyon.com

One night at Bryce can be enough, but you need more for Zion. The Narrows deserves most of a day. And there's much more to see and do there too. Give it 3 nights.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
2. Re: questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

As noted, weather should be nice. If you have two weeks in the region, spend more of it in the parks and less in Vegas. While the program you outlined can work, if you added another day in Page and another in Zion you would gain immensely. Your Zion hiking schedule is very aggressive for the timeframe. This is an amazing part of the world, take a couple more days to enjoy.

Have fun.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
3. Re: questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

Las Vegas to Page is a 5 hours drive without stops and Page to Bryce is 3 hours (plus one hour timedifference). So your time for Page is rather short but you can see Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe bend in that timeframe. I don''t see Grand Canyon NP in your trip. Are you skipping that? If you are lucky you'll have balmy evenings for Page and Zion. Bryce is much higher in elevation.

Tet

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
4. Re: questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

Hi John

Bryce will get cool at night in September. Nightime temps will approach the freezing marks. Page and Zion will be warmer, due to the elevation.

Antelope Canyon (either upper or lower) takes an average of two hours to tour. Horseshoe Bend takes about an hour to hike to the canyon. So if this is all that you want to do in Page, one night should be sufficient. If you have time at Page, consider visiting the Glen Canyon Dam/Carl Hayden Center, which is quite similar to the more famous Hoover Dam near Las Vegas.

At Zion you have the three top hikes which defines Zion. As stated, you should plan the entire day for the Narrows. Just getting to the river and back chews up two or three hours of your day, especially if you are renting some equipment. You can spend over six hours in the river itself, depending on how far you are willing to go.

You can do Observation point/East rim and Angel's Landing/West rim in a day, but it would be a long day. The West rim trail to Scouts Lookout plus the Angel's landing spur is pretty popular, and somewhat easier than hiking to OP. It is 3-4 hours. Observation point is another hour longer, and is more strenuous than AL because of the length and elevation gain. Maybe just pick one hike or the other, and add a couple of other hikes to your day like Canyon Overlook, Lower Emerald Pools, or Watchman. Or else extend your Zion visit by a day.

If you possibly need some options for things to do or sites to see in these three destinations, just ask.

And by the way your English is just fine, better than I can do some days.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 117
5. Re: questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

Good advice so far. I too wonder about the Grand Canyon. You could include in a visit to the North Rim quite easily.

As for your specific questions, yes, you can do it in that time frame, yes, as the others have pointed out a few more nights in Page and Zions would be better.

I would definitely recommend the Narrows first as long as they are open. And then second would be Angel's Landing. If you have time, energy and/or another day then Observation Point would be a distant third choice imo.

Leiden, The...
6. Re: questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

Thanks for your reply on my post about the national parks.

The way it looks now we will take one more night in Page.

So it will be 2 nights Zion, 1 Bryce and 2 Page.

The trip i am planning is especialy for my wife.

Since Januari last year we have found out that her cancer has come back.

And we stil wanna do things that we wanted to do when we would be older.

So it was her dream visiting Las Vegas and the National parks.

I my self have been once to Las Vegas and have been visiting then the skywalk above the grand Canyon.

It was the first year it was open.

I my self love to take photos, so for me i have some goals, like the horse shoe bend i wanna take photos there by sunrise, Antelope canyon of course.

Angels landing i know will be hard for my wife to make it but she just want to try and see how far she can get, because i know she wants a photo of her on top.

So for Zion national park we have to look for 2 or 3 easy hikes where we can take some nice photos.

If you have some ideas i would love to hear them and have any tips for us.

Again thanks for your first reply

John

Leiden, The...
7. Re: questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

Edited: 9:38 pm, May 03, 2013
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
8. Re: questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

A couple trails that may interest you are Canyon Overlook, just east of the tunnel, and Observation Point via East Mesa trail. For east mesa you need to hire a shuttle from an outfitter in town.

Both have great views of the canyon from above, but without the need for a steep climb out of the canyon to get to them.

Canyon Overlook is about 1 mile round trip.

The hike from the east mesa to Observation Point , then to the bottom of the canyon at Weeping Rock is around 7 miles or so. But, its almost all flat or downhill. And you look down on Angels Landing from across the canyon.

If you are not looking for mileage like that, lower Emerald Pools is easy and right near the lodge.

Pa Rus is really easy. Its flat and paved and follows the river, much like the Riverside walk to the start of the Narrows.

This site has pictures and rates the trails from family friendly to technical.

www.citrusmilo.com/joesguidetozion

I

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
9. Re: questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

Comong from Las Vegas there are two possible routes to Page. From Fredonia, Utah you can take US 89A, which takes you up over the Kaibab Plateau at Jacobs Lake. Before you get to Jacobs Lake, look for the Le Fevre overlook which provides a nice view of the cliffs in the Grand Staircase Escalante NM. Once you get near the junction with US89, you will be in a scenic area known as the Vermillion Cliffs/Marble canyon/Navajo Bridge. Look for and stop at the Lees Ferry area, where you can get up close to the Colorado River.

From Page to Bryce, take US89.

At Bryce NP, a couple of good short trails are Bristlecone loop at Rainbow Point, and Navajo Loop at Sunset Point at the main Amphitheatre, where the large concentration of sandstone 'hoodoos' are

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
10. Re: questions about our trip to zion/Bryce and Antelope canyon

Sorry to hear about your wife. I know all about that horrible disease. Veel sterkte toegewenst.

You can't compare Grand Canyon West (where the Skywalk is, think it opened 2007 ) to the real thing aka north rim or south rim. The National park is much wider, deeper and more colorful. Just a little warning for driving via Lees Ferry and Marble Canyon. The road to Page us89 is closed between Page and Bitter Springs (just north of the junction 89/89A so if you want to go that way you must make a long detour towards Page.

Tet