We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to Zion from Las Vegas

Which Zion National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
decatur al
Best route to Zion from Las Vegas

We will be flying into Vegas on 5/12 and should arrive around 1:00pm. We are going to travel to Zion as soon as we can get our car. Looking for suggestions for the best route to take. Sounds like reading other posts we should have no trouble getting there befor dark (we hope). Is there places to stop and eat or would it be better to wait and eat when we arrive? Thanks alot for your help

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
1. Re: Best route to Zion from Las Vegas

Its a very easy drive. From the airport take Interstate 15 north into Utah and then take Hwy 9 to the park.

Should take just short of three hours and you lose an hour entering UT.

There are places to eat in Mesquite, St George, Hurricane, and Springdale.

If you get on the road around 2 you should be up there for sunset. Find a restaurant in Springdale with an outdoor patio and watch the rocks glow at sunset.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
2. Re: Best route to Zion from Las Vegas

On your previous post in January, you asked about mining/ghost towns. Outside of Vegas out Boulder City way is the town of Nelson, that has a mine tour that may interest you. There are reviews on TA if you type that in the search box.

The road past Nelson turns to dirt and eventually runs into the shores of Lake Mohave.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 24
3. Re: Best route to Zion from Las Vegas

Like Dez says, it's an easy drive on the I-15 to the 9 to Zion. I would wait to eat until I got to Springdale, much better options there. I would try either Oscars or the Spotted Dog Cafe, those are my 2 favorites. But there are a number of other places right on the main highway as you drive thru town. Unless you just want fast food or cheap food, in which case you can stop in Mesquite or Hurricane.

decatur al
4. Re: Best route to Zion from Las Vegas

Thank you all so much for your help. Very valuable information

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 87
5. Re: Best route to Zion from Las Vegas

I don't think anyone mentioned valley of fire state park just north of Las Vegas. This is a wonderful park that could take half a day but is a great intro to the areas geologic wonders. If you have the time the short detour would be worth it. Then continue on up past lake mead and Overton.

6. Re: Best route to Zion from Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park