We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break Help

los angeles
reviews: 3
Spring Break Help

We are planning to drive from LA to Zion national park and Bryce from March 31 to April 6th. I need in decinding where to stay and can we do it? Please help. How many days at Bryce and Zion ? Do we need more days?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 238
1. Re: Spring Break Help

Mar 31 - Drive LA to Zion (long drive but do-able, or overnight in Vegas)

Apr 1 - Zion

Apr 2 - Zion

Apr 3 - Zion

Apr 4 - Bryce

Apr 5 - Bryce

Apr 6 - Long drive back to LA

You can mix and match this as you wish, or break up the drive. But definitely go more nights in Zion than Bryce.

Have fun.

los angeles
2. Re: Spring Break Help

I have 2 children age 6 and 9-girls. I am going to stop in Vegas , I think. This will give us the break. Why did you mention Zion needs more days? I wanted to do lake Powell as well. I thought Bryce 1st then Zion but you know more for sure. Thanks a lot of the reply.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
3. Re: Spring Break Help

Bryce is a park that can be seen fairly quickly. Most of the viewpoints are accessed by car right off the main road. One or two nights is usually enough.

Zion on the other hand, takes more effort and time to see, and has different sections. Kolob Canyon, Kolob Terrace, main canyon,east side. Many of the hikes involve some sort of a climb out of the canyon to get on top for the views. But you can still have a great time even if you stay down in the canyon doing things like the Narrows hike up the river.(If its open)

If you are doing Lake Powell too, you may want to do Zion, Bryce, then Lake Powell and head back to Vegas via 59/389. Or reverse it Powell, Bryce Zion. Try to make more of a loop to keep backtracking to a minimum.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 106
4. Re: Spring Break Help

In general, Zion is a larger park with three distinct sections. Most visitors just visit the one section, the main canyon, stretching from the South entrance to the North. Even if just visiting the main canyon at Zion, it has many features accessed by the hiking trails. If you do not like to hike, Zion can be seen in less time. Also there is a shuttle system in Zion that runs in Springdale, and along the main canyon. It does add a little extra time needed to visit the park.

At Bryce, the main feature is the main Amphitheatre. Even though Bryce also has its fair share of trails, the main travelled trails are in the Main amphitheatre, and are somewhat shorter. The scenic drive in Bryce takes two to three hours if you get out to take a good look at the viewpoints.

Putting Bryce before Page and Zion is an option many people choose. Splitting up the drive to Utah from LA to Bryce with LV in the middle is the logical choice. You can also travel to Page first, then Bryce, then Zion.

It is common to state that finding accomodations can be a hassle. Depending on what dates are best for each of your destinations accomodation wise, can often determine the order/route in which you travel.

Cross posted w/Dez

Edited: 5:50 pm, March 27, 2013
los angeles
5. Re: Spring Break Help

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. I am sure there are places to eat in these areas? I booking a cabin in Bryce, called Bryce Country cabins. Any thoughts? Where should I be staying in Zion and Lake Powell?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
6. Re: Spring Break Help

Those cabins are in Tropic, a short drive from Bryce.

In Zion you can stay in the lodge in the park, or the town of Springdale is just outside the park and has several hotels and restaurants.

At Powell stay in Page. Again many hotels, or stay near the marina at Lake Powell Resort.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 238
7. Re: Spring Break Help

The cabins in Tropic are OK but you'll be a lot better off staying at Ruby's right at the park entrance. If you're breaking the trip in Vegas, do one night Bryce, two nights Zion, one night Page (Lake Powell).

Orange, California
8. Re: Spring Break Help

I just did a similar trip! I spent 4 days in zion and didn't feel like nearly enough.

I'd just drive straight to zion. I drove from socal too and was surprised how early I got to vegas so i decided to push through to zion. Now, depends on how early you leave home but you will probably arrive in zion at noon or a bit afternoon, which means you won't get a campsite unless you've already made a reservation.

I went last week right before the easter weekend and was able to find a motel really easy. It didn't even fill up, so I think you have no problem with lodging in springdale.

If you decide to stay in vegas for another day, then it's not bad to go to bryce first to make your drive back to LA shorter and more doable from zion.

Driving from LA to zion straight wasn't bad for me at all. The drive was so beautiful and relaxing especially once you approach utah that you will probably forget about how much your butt is hurting.

9. Re: Spring Break Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 05, 2014