We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First week in November for Utah parks - please advise

Clarksville...
First week in November for Utah parks - please advise

We are planning to fly in and out SLC and get a rental car. (or should I choose other airport Two of us. Mom and her young daughter. We have been to Yellowstone, Acadia, Yosemite, and Everglades, to name a few. Interested in ranger programs and easy hikes.

We'd like to do as many parks as we could. Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Canyonlands, Arches and a few State parks (Deadhorse). Any place else worth stop by? Please recommend a driving route for scenry and approximate time needed for each place. We will be arriving mid afternoon on our first day and leave before noon on the 7th or 8th day.

If you have recommendation for lodging, I'd be appreciated too!

I know it would not be the best season but my other choices would be in December when schools out. Or should I wait until next spring break in early April? Some time in May?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 8
1. Re: First week in November for Utah parks - please advise

A good place to start is to look at the top right of the Utah state forum under the top questions.

See: How to see the parks of southern Utah.

In there it has sample itineraries for loop trips from SLC or Vegas based on how much time you have. There are maps, mileages,suggestions on how long to stay, etc. That should help you get going.

November is not a bad time to go. Its slightly off season, so you should be able to get good rates on hotels, and the parks tend to be pretty quiet in terms of numbers of visitors.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
2. Re: First week in November for Utah parks - please advise

With only a week, I'd advise modifying the goal of trying to include all the parks on your list. Choose southeastern Utah to include Moab, Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse SP, Goblin Valley ad Capital Reef. OR choose southwestern Utah for Zion, Bryce, UT12 and Capital Reef. Trying to do them all in a week will result in not really experiencing any of them. Days are getting shorter in November and it taes time to experience these places.

Do it right and you'll be inspired to come back for more, maybe next spring. Whiz by everything and you'll have wasted your week.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 126
3. Re: First week in November for Utah parks - please advise

King of hard to see them all in one week. Definitely check out the top questions for"How to see all the parks in Southern Utah" for the route maps. There is one listed that fits in all the parks. Can't remember the name. I believe it was an 8 day trip though and that extra day can make all the difference.

So with only seven days I'd go with RedRox's suggestion to pick on side of the state or the other and add Capitol reef in with either of them. I don't think it would matter too much which area you decide on. It will be a great visit

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 87
4. Re: First week in November for Utah parks - please advise

I would consider going in May, much more dependable weather.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 106
5. Re: First week in November for Utah parks - please advise

Agreed that the best use of your time will be a short loop from SLC, or a short loop from Las Vegas. Either way you will be able to fit in Bryce and Zion, two of the best parks Southern Utah has to offer.

From SLC, with your time allowances you can do 2-3 nights Moab, 1 night Torrey, 1 night Bryce, and 2 nights Springdale. You will be limited in the time to visit the parks, due to the shortness of days as previously suggested.

A couple of advantages to travelling in the off season is lower rates and better availability for accomodations. Also the visitation/crowds at the parks is greatly diminished. The disadvantages are the short days and the possibility of snow. Also some services/accomodations/ restaurants are closed until at least April of the following year.

In April/May, yes you will have warmer weather, but expect to start finding the higher rates/crowds, as it is the start of the season.

Clarksville...
6. Re: First week in November for Utah parks - please advise

Thank you all for the replies. Just booked the air tickets. Flying in SLC on 10/30 around 2:30 pm and out on 11/7 at 1:00 pm. So, it's actually 9 days including the air travel days. Maybe I could do the bigger loop starting from southeast parks and returning from southwest parks? I have read the top question section you all suggested and will come up with a detailed itinerary later. Thank you all!

Strandhill, Ireland
reviews: 245
7. Re: First week in November for Utah parks - please advise

We done some of the Utah parks last year, starting with Moab, eventually finishing in Vegas, and a really cold weather front followed us all the way, with snow on the high grounds, and we just missed a big snow storm in Bryce by a day, but had a lovely sprinkling of it in Zion. So the weather was cold, but it was really great for hiking and the photography was fantastic with the changing conditions and lighting and all the fall colours. Definitely nicer than end of September even though the warmer weather helped doing sunrise shots! Just bring warm clothes!!

8. Re: First week in November for Utah parks - please advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 09, 2013