We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking footwear and poles

Which Zion National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ronkonkoma, New York
reviews: 4
hiking footwear and poles

Hiking Narrows and AL. I was told by a friend that my trail running sneaks are sufficient since they dry faster and have good traction. True??

Also my husband is a runner and has a million pairs of regular running sneakers. He is bringing an older pair that he has. Will those be okay?

Do we NEED poles or can we do without?

Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
1. Re: hiking footwear and poles

Poles will really help with balance on the slippery rocks of the Narrows. With poles you can also poke around to see where the rocks are and how deep the water may be.People hike the Narrows in everything from bare feet to boots.You don't need fancy shoes, just wear what you are comfortable in. Something with an enclosed toe is always good, since you feet will slip off the rocks. If you hike in the colder months then boots and a wetsuit or a drysuit are just about manditory.

Poles on AL may be a hinderance. You need your hands free to grab the chains and scramble up rocks and tree roots. If you strap them to your pack, they may get tangled in the bushes and set you off balance. Its a long way down.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 87
2. Re: hiking footwear and poles

I agree, you do not want poles on Angels Landing.

If you don't want to bring poles for the Narrows, it is possible there will be some sticks/poles at the beginning of the Narrows. There was a line of about 10 last time we were there. Problem with that is you can't count on any.

Edited: 2:08 am, August 22, 2012
3. Re: hiking footwear and poles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 24, 2013