We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shenandoah in early April

Which Shenandoah National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 126
Shenandoah in early April

Hi all,

I'm thinking of spending a day or 2 in Shenandoah NP in early April (around the 7th or 8th). Is this a good time to go? Will it be cold then and more importantly, will the leaves be in the trees or will they still be bare from winter?

Thanks

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 99
1. Re: Shenandoah in early April

There will not be leaves in the trees in Shenandoah NP by April 7th. Our trees in northern Virginia are still bare and I do not anticipate seeing any leaves here for several weeks. The leaves will come out in Shenandoah even later than they do in northern Virginia.

Besides that, it will be fine to go to Shenandoah. The Byrd Visitor's Center will be open daily; Skyland Lodge will be open for dining and accommodations; plenty of picnic grounds are open; hiking trails are open.

Luray, Virginia
reviews: 15
2. Re: Shenandoah in early April

Sorry, there are no leaves in sight anywhere around here yet and in fact we are due for some snow tomorrow.

And, yes unless we get an unexpected heat wave, it will be cold up in the park.

Here is a link to the Hours. Things go according to the weather up there:http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/facilities-opening-schedule.htm

If I were you I would wait just a bit to really enjoy spring in the park.

Charlottesville...
reviews: 44
3. Re: Shenandoah in early April

Too early for the leaf out, but visibility through the forest will be pretty good. That means a good opportunity for bird watching and wildlife. The black bears will start emerge if the weather finally warm. Count on Skyline Drive to be a 5-10 degrees cooler than the Piedmont (low lands). Have a great time!

4. Re: Shenandoah in early April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 26, 2015