We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

Which Shenandoah National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NewYork,NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

Hello, I am trying to plan a roadtrip from NYC to Shenandoah to view fall foliage. This will be a first trip with our dog and would love to do some hiking and it would really be a plus if there was beautiful foliage. I've searched other forums and other sites but have not been able to find any current info. Any suggestions, comments or information would be greatly appreciated!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
160 reviews
1. Re: Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

Here is a site with links that may help in your planning......

blueridgetravelguide.com/autumn-leaves-fall-…

Hopefully in November you will still get to see some vibrant fall colors but SNP is beautiful regardless of the season. Here is some info about pets in the Park and list of trails where dogs are not allowed, all others are fido friendly.......

www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Enjoy your time in Shenandoah.

NewYork,NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

Thank you so much for the sites!

Parkesburg...
Level Contributor
9 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

Our anniversary is on November 3rd and every year, I think how lucky we are to have our anniversary land during the best fall foliage week in Virginia - at least, I think it's the best! :) Fall colors are well under way now, but not QUITE peaked yet. I would wager that you will get excellent foliage in early November, as usual. Enjoy!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

It is peak now and the leaves are falling fast , Not sure what will be left the first week of November..

Front Royal is the beginning of Sky line drive and often on the week end there is several miles of backed up traffic, if you can plan on a week day entrance you might be better off. But If you find it like this when you get there you might consider going south to the next entrance, That is where we go and find it less congested . it is where 211 crosses the mountain .

good luck with your trip.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

I know some trees in the foothills are bare...but those are flowering trees and also bore the brunt of the drought. However, heard the Bedford County Va news a couple of days ago and the meteorologist said the leaves would peak on the Blue Ridge Pkwy end of Oct/first week in Nov. They were peaking this weekend in the Highlands.

I saw the lower mountains have gold and red brown leaves but could not get to the Parkway then, as close as I was. So I was glad to hear the peak is yet to be and that will coincide with my next visit.

Have a good trip.

Luray, Virginia
Level Contributor
119 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

We are way past peak at the top elevations. I drove the northern section Tuesday and it was BEAUTIFUL. But if the winds come they way they are predicting for the coming week. There won't be much left. Trees are thinning out quickly.

NewYork,NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

I guess we'll have to catch peak leaves some other time. Im just glad we'll be able to visit Shenandoah & experience a little part of Virginia.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
370 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

I was in Woodstock and Mt. Jackson yesterday and it was gorgeous. By the time I got up to Bryce Resort, it was definitely past peak. But now with the hurricane on its way, it may take a few leaves off the trees, even that far inland.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

Come past the hurricane. Leaves coming down. Check the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Pkwy sites for any closures. And greatly enjoy the amazing far views of mountains, meadows, farms, small towns, a few houses here and there in the distance. A whole different wide perspective when the leaves are down from the diciduous trees.

10. Re: Shenandoah fall foliage during first week of November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 31, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...