We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on visit in June

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fremont
reviews: 2
Advice on visit in June

I plan on visiting in early June. My dates are open (7 June - 14 June with some leeway either way). Right now I'm planning for a 4 day stay. I will be driving from the San Francisco Bay Area. I am a camper and have everything to camp with. I'm not adverse to spending time in a clean room with a shower though.

I have never visited Kings Canyon Sequoia before. Any suggestion on the best place or places to stay? I'm not in the greatest shape so any advice on what to visit. What would be the best days of the week to visit?

I have visited Yosemite many times and just love the Giant Sequoia trees. I've been reading some of the posts and see that there are many helpful experts out there. Thank you for any assistance.

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Advice on visit in June

The campgrounds at the General Grant area are the only ones within sight of giant sequoias. Azalea, Sunset, and one other campground are there. They are a bit crowded though. The Dorst campground is newer but still not a wilderness experience. Lodgepole is the main headquarters area, there are pay showers there, a store and some food places. It's about ten minutes from the Giant Forest grove.

Giant Forest is the easiest and most popular grove, with open meadows ringed by giant sequoias. Fairly flat hiking. Another large grove (largest remaining old growth grove I think) is the Redwood Mountain Grove, off the main highway on a two mile dirt road, not well known, so not crowded.

Another day hike is the Lakes Trail up to Emerald and Pear Lakes, climbing up out of the forest into the alpine zone.

The roads at Sequoia/Kings Canyon are all down in the forest, unlike Yosemite where you can drive up to the alpine country on Tioga Pass Road, at Seq/Kings you have to hike to get up there. The Lakes Trail is probably the easiest way to get up there, but still a 2000 foot climb over 6 miles one way.

2. Re: Advice on visit in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 20, 2009