We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best RV / Campsite on or near Sequoia

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Best RV / Campsite on or near Sequoia

It's my first time going up there and i'm hoping to take an RV. what would be the best place where i can stay and camp? also any additonal first timer advice would be appreciated Thanks

Fresno, California
1. Re: Best RV / Campsite on or near Sequoia

When are you planning on going? What size RV?

Larger RV's find it easier to enter on Highway 180 from Fresno. That takes you into Kings Canyon NP at Grant Grove. The park even recommends that vehicles larger than about 25 feet use this entrance.

The Three Rivers/Highway 198 entrance from the gate to Giant Forest is an older road, the original right of way it is built on dates back to about 1926. So some of the curves can be sharper and and the width can be narrower in spots, down to about 19 feet wide or so. Not a horrible road just a little more difficult to drive, particularly in a larger RV.

There has also been road construction in the park between the Three Rivers gate and Giant Forest. So during the week you may have to wait until they allow traffic to pass the work crews, about once every hour.

In Sequoia/Kings Canyon many campgrounds do not allow RVs. We like to tent camp in Azalea near Grant Grove off Highway 180 then visit other areas from that base. Many RVs are next door at Sunset. Both are a short hike to the sequoia trees in Grant Grove and the Grant Grove Village which has a market for supplies and other services.

Some other campgounds in the park are completely closed for winter. Lodgepole in Sequoia is well equipped for RVs including a dump station but will close to RVs if there is too much snow in winter.

Be aware there is no service station in Sequoia/Kings Canyon itself. The nearest places for gas that you can expect for sure would be open in winter are in Three Rivers to the south or probably Squaw Valley (no not that one) along Highway 180.

Spring to fall gas is available between Sequoia and Kings Canyon at Stony Creek on the Generals Highway. Hume Lake also has a service station but I'm not sure if it is seasonal or year round.

Los Angeles
2. Re: Best RV / Campsite on or near Sequoia

i'm going in march. looking to rent a 24 or 25 footer

3. Re: Best RV / Campsite on or near Sequoia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, August 21, 2009