We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chains in mid-November

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas
reviews: 4
Chains in mid-November

I posted yesterday asking about driving from Fresno to Lodgepole. Thank you to everyone who responded. Now that we've looked more closely at the possibilities and heard from experienced travelers, we've decided to stay at Wakasuchi (sp) Lodge. BUT, whilst making reservations at the Lodge we were told that we'd need chains to enter the park. Apparently after Nov. 1 the park requires chains. Being residents of Las Vegas where chains are not needed (or owned) we're wondering if this just put the kibosh on our trip to Sequoia. Is there any alternative to having chains in the trunk? Do they make exceptions if the weather is clear? The Lodge told us that we'd forfeit our deposit if we were denied entry. We are holding off on reservations until we can learn our status regarding chains.

Thank you for any insight that anyone can provide.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 5
1. Re: Chains in mid-November

There are places to rent chains if you don't want to buy them. Have a look at any of the ski rental places, many of them will rent them. Just have your tire size when you go in.

Fresno, California
2. Re: Chains in mid-November

This week the weather forecast currently does not look too bad but conditions change quickly in the Sierras in winter. In the mountains in winter you should be prepared for the unpredictability by carrying chains. I've seen the rangers both check and not check but better to be prepared.

As said chains are easy to rent, some of the Fresno area gas stations even rent them. I have found that some rental prices are high enough to make simply buying chains an option.

It is not just a tire size purchase. Check your owners manual if using your own vehicle, some say no chains should be used while others say only use snow cables. We own one like that, it is a clearance problem behind the wheel.

If you are in a rental car check with the company since some contracts do not allow chains to be used on their vehicles.

The current forecast for Lodgepole is for a slight possibility of snow and rain (about 30%) on Wednesday night. Right now that doesn't look like it would cause a problem.

You can follow the forecast changes for Lodgepole here

www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php…

As I posted on the other thread, conditions at Lodgepole will be different than Grant Grove. Lodgepole runs colder and snowier than Grant Grove.

If I remember correctly Wuksachi has a 48 hour cancellation policy. So you would want to check the forecast just before that time.

The one problem though would be that during/after snowfall the General's Highway can be closed temporarily for plowing. So even chains would not allow you to reach Wuksachi. I've gone to Grant Grove in winter and seen the General's Highway closed heading to Sequoia.

You can check on current road conditions in the park at (559) 565-3341, extension 941.

But as I said at least right now it looks like the weather will not be bad.

3. Re: Chains in mid-November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 27, 2009