We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Close to park accomodations?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 8
Close to park accomodations?

Hi All,

well we are planning another get away & since I have recieved such good info from this site in the past I thought I would try again.

I know this is super short notice but....Tuesday 10/31 we are driving from the san diego area to Kings canyon Sequioa nat'l park area.

We will only be able to stay in a hotel on Tuesday night & do a day trip of the park on Wednesday. The it's off to Sonoma.

Since time is of the essence, we would like to find a clean comfy hotel or some lodging less than 1 hour drive from the park.

any suggestions????? Thnaks in advance!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
1. Re: Close to park accomodations?

I understand that most accommodations within the park are open year round. Try Sequoia-Kings Canyon Park Services Company www.sequoia-kingscanyon.com.

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Close to park accomodations?

If you only have a day, staying overnight in Three Rivers will give you a bright and early start (with the change in time this weekend) for a day trip through Sequoia. We have stayed in Three Rivers at the Holiday Inn Express, and it is clean and comfy. The road from Three Rivers to the Giant Forest (Wuksachi Lodge) has many, many curves and switchbacks.

In the Giant Forest you will see the big trees, including the General Sherman Tree. There is also a 1.5 mile Big Trees trail by the Giant Forest Museum.

In an hour, you can drive the Moro Rock-Crescent Meadow Road. Add some time, if you decide to climb the 400 steps up Moro Rock. In the same area is the tunnel lug, a fallen sequoia you can drive through - and take pictures.

Grant Grove is near the Kings Canyon entrance, and from there you can decide on the time about when to leave for Sonoma.

3. Re: Close to park accomodations?

Thnaks to Mere & Puter for your input! I will definitlay check it out.

I was a bit hesitant re:Holiday In Express since there were several negatives on this site.

By the way, how long a drive approx. from 3 Rivers to the Park itself?

4. Re: Close to park accomodations?

Mere, My aplogies!

I justchecked the Holiday Inn Express at 3 rivers & the positives far outweighed the negatives. Definitly a consideration.

I have been looking at so many hotel ratings that I am afraid I mixed them up.

Thanks again for your help!

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Close to park accomodations?

Three Rivers is six miles from the Ash Mountain entrance. And I think it is about an hour and a half to the Giant Forest because it is uphill and winding. We took a tour and made some stops along the way so don't recall exactly. Looks like great weather for a beautiful segment of your trip.

6. Re: Close to park accomodations?

Thank you for your help!

I printed these replies out & will go over the info with my hubby!

I LOVE this site & the helpful people on it.

7. Re: Close to park accomodations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...