We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grant Grove Cabins In June/july 2007 .. Which one???

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 1
Grant Grove Cabins In June/july 2007 .. Which one???

I am thinking of going on the 30th of june till 9th july. Which grant grove cabin if any would be the best to stay at. How close are you to everything? what are the facillities like at the cabins?/ Thank you any info would be very nice..

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Grant Grove Cabins In June/july 2007 .. Which one???

The cabins are right in the middle of the Grant Grove area, across the highways from campgrounds and the Grant Grove itself, right next to the visitor center and restaurant.

But this is just the Grant Grove, it's an hour down into Kings Canyon itself, and an hour in the other direction to the Giant Forest Grove in Sequoia NP, which is the most impressive grove, with the very largest tree (General Sherman) and the views from Moro Rock and the possibility of long hikes through sequoia forest.

England
2. Re: Grant Grove Cabins In June/july 2007 .. Which one???

Thank You for the reply. we already no alot about its location as we have been before. have you got any info on the actual cabins them self??. and do you no how far from redwood mountain grove you are. and how far from: atwell mill grove, mountain home grove or even alder creek grove. thank you so much.

New York City, New...
3. Re: Grant Grove Cabins In June/july 2007 .. Which one???

Sorry, I don't know about the cabins themselves. As for the groves, you are quite close to the Redwood Mountain Grove, only about a 15-20 minute drive. The others are much farther away, you would have to come down out of the mountains and go back up again to get to them. The Atwell Mill Grove is along the Mineral King Road, it starts from the General's Highway before that highway begins climbing up to Giant Forest, and MK Road is *very* slow, 2 hours to go 25 miles. So you are about 3 or 4 hours from the Atwell Mill Grove.

The other groves you mention are south of Sequoia NP in the Sequoia National Monument, there's a map of their locations at

sierranevadaphotos.com/geography/giant_sequo…

I have not been to this area myself, but the roads look very twisty on the map, I would expect it would take at least four hours from the Grant Grove to get to Mountain Home.

The Converse Basin and Evans Groves were heavily logged in the early 1900s.

England
4. Re: Grant Grove Cabins In June/july 2007 .. Which one???

thank you for the reply./ just to let u no we might be stay for aslong as 7 or 8 nights. do you think its worth it to one day travel to mountain home or atwell and just stop at places on the way. i no about converse and evans its just i wanted to see the boole tree and the ishi giant. how far is giant forest from the grant grove cabins. thanks for all the info.. what groves have you been to and whats ur fav? bradluke

New York City, New...
5. Re: Grant Grove Cabins In June/july 2007 .. Which one???

Giant Forest is about an hour's drive from the Grant Grove. All the others you mention are much farther away, not really doable as a day trip out and back to the Grant Grove, you would probably want to stay at least overnight somewhere closer.

I have been to only a few groves, Giant Forest, Grant Grove, Redwood Mtn. Grove, Muir Grove, Lost Grove, both Calavaras Groves and the Placer County Grove. Giant Forest is my favorite, because of the many open meadows and views at the edge of the grove. It's very heavily visited, but once you hike away from the roads, the crowds thin out.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Grant Grove Cabins In June/july 2007 .. Which one???

The Boole Tree is easy enough to get to, but involves a 2 1/2 mile dirt road followed by a two mile hike, it's only about 6 miles from the Grant Grove:

kevingong.com/Hiking/200508BooleTree.html

The Ishi Tree is a different story, see this description of a visit there:

http://www.tarol.com/ishi.html

It looks like it involves some pretty rough 4WD roads, and then you need to know where to go, there are no signs or other information.

7. Re: Grant Grove Cabins In June/july 2007 .. Which one???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...