We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orange County - Sequoia?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ca
reviews: 1
Orange County - Sequoia?

I was considering a short weekend trip to Sequioa this weekend (my wife has never been there) We live in central Orange County and would leave late Friday evening or early Saturday morning.

I know the drive is about 5 hours or so, but is there a recommended season to go and time to go? Is it better to go on a weekday if possible? I haven't been there since I was like 13, so I have never driven to Sequioa so I don't know what to expect. I haven't even got a hotel room. Would it be better to plan farther in advance?

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Orange County - Sequoia?

A short weekend trip - all I can think of is traffic until you get past Magic Mountain in Valencia. Wuksachi Lodge in the Park would be nice, if you can get accommodations and it is a little pricey.

The 16 miles of Hwy 198 from the Ash Mountain entrance to Giant Forest has 130 curves and 12 switchbacks - definitely not a speedway. You may want to drive to Three Rivers and stay the night and spend a full day up in Sequoia. At the end of the day, take another road out and find lodging - perhaps in Fresno or Visalia on the way home. It's a short weekend that you only have, that may be the way to go.

Some of the parking lots near the Morro Rock and the trees may be crowded, and may take up some of your time.

Last year we stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Three Rivers. At 9 a.m. we were picked up by Sequoia Tours and spent a full day in Sequoia. It was so interesting, with several stops, and lunch at the Wuksachi Lodge (on your own). In the evening, my husband and I had dinner along the Kaweah River at the Gateway Restaurant.

The tour is $83. adult.

www.AmericanParkNetwork.com and do a search for Sequoia. It has a lot of information on sights, etc.

www.sequoiatours.com

Fresno, California
reviews: 10
2. Re: Orange County - Sequoia?

Aloha!!

We love Seqouia Natn'l Park. It is beautiful. That said I would wait until school is back in (about 2 weeks). Tourism will back off some. Three Rivers is a neat little town and a great stop off point. Don't know if it is still there but breakfast at the Noisy Water Inn was a nice experience. If you continue through the park to the north end you can exit on Hwy. 180 and avoid the 130n curves going out the South end. You can then stay an night in Fresno or take 180 to Hwy 99 South and your on your way home.

Whatever have a great time in a beatiful part of the world.

Deannatravel

3. Re: Orange County - Sequoia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 14, 2009