We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequoia Natl park- wuksachi vs montecito lodge

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Wayne, Indiana
reviews: 6
Sequoia Natl park- wuksachi vs montecito lodge

Hi, planning a 3 day trip to sequoia national park in third wk of Oct and wondering where to stay out of these two lodges. Hv two children ages 14 & 11. Does anyone has input re location of the two lodges? Montecito appears to hv more kids' activities but not sure if that will still be on in Oct. and not sure of montecito's location for the major hikes.

Thnks.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
1. Re: Sequoia Natl park- wuksachi vs montecito lodge

Montecito Sequoia and Wuksachi are in two entirely different classes of accommodation. Montecito is a somewhat run-down (I guess I should say it's perhaps just poorly maintained) collection of rooms and cabins, with various kids activities and a definite penchant toward serving families. There is no restaurant, meals are served at certain times. It is 40 minutes further away from the big trees (although it is isn't far from the roadside grove, The Lost Grove).

Wuksachi is a modern, well-maintained property with a restaurant. It is inside the National Park and run by Xanterra, a national park concessionaire. The food at the restaurant is not cheap, but you have other options nearby at Lodgepole. There are no other options nearby at Montecito.

Montecito is not close to the major hikes, is my main problem with it. The children's activities still exist in Montecito in October, but there will be far fewer children there. There will be children's activities conducted by rangers at Lodgepole in October (although again greatly reduced from the summer, but the Junior Ranger program is great).

If you plan to hang out during the day at your accommodation and want a place where your kids can run around and engaged in somewhat supervised activities (there is no "kids club" atmosphere at Montecito, to me the kids looked largely unsupervised, the way they are in campgrounds - parents still have to be aware of where their kids are), then I suppose Montecito has its advantages. It seems very expensive for what it is.

If you are there to see Sequoia, it is worth it to stay at Wuksachi (and really, not that much difference in price, although eating all the time at Wuksachi's restaurant could add up; try the Lodgepole General Store for sandwiches and picnic supplies, also there's a little grill at Lodgepole). Wuksachi is about 5-10 minutes from Lodgepole and about 15 minutes from the General Sherman tree.

Montecito is about 50 minutes from the General Sherman tree/Congress Trail.

Have a great time! October is a wonderful month to visit. Don't miss the History Center area, Round Meadow and Beetle Rock, then of course, the main attractions (Moro Rock, Crescent and Log Meadow) along the Crescent Meadow road. You might be able to work in a trip to Crystal Cave as well...

Canada
reviews: 12
2. Re: Sequoia Natl park- wuksachi vs montecito lodge

We did stay in Wuksachi in late June with our 2 kids. If you can score a Superior room, I strongly suggest you do as the added room is very welcomed by everyone coming back from a full day of hiking!

We loved our stay at Sequoia national park. If you can, do the Small Baldy Hike before sunset (start about 1.5 hour prior to) and you will see the most amazing sunset ever. The hike is somewhat demanding with a lot of switchbacks. Do not stop until you're a the very top of the mountain - there is an area which seems to be the end of the trail as it is on top of a large granit section but you'll still be in the forest. Find the path leading towards the last section of the hike which is the top of the mountain. I found Small Baldy much better than Big Baldy.

Moro Rock is also very nice, especially for teens!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
reviews: 6
3. Re: Sequoia Natl park- wuksachi vs montecito lodge

Thanks for taking the time! This is very helpful info.

Fresno, California
4. Re: Sequoia Natl park- wuksachi vs montecito lodge

LeBiscuit, Wuksachi Lodge is no longer operated by Xanterra. They were replaced by DNC a few years ago.

DNC also recently was awarded the concession for Kings Canyon NP and the John Muir starting later this year. The current concession operator at KCNP and the John Muir also operated Montecito Sequoia but I don't know yet if there will also be a change at Montecito since it is not part of the park contract.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,759
5. Re: Sequoia Natl park- wuksachi vs montecito lodge

In October, definitely recommend Wukachi.

The park starts to close up some - i.e. fill up with gas before you drive up to the park as we had problems finding any gas in the park.

Also, dining options are minimum come October. We had made reservations for dinner at Wukachi Lodge - and its good food; nice room; but those who came without resevations were turned away,

They do not have elevators in the buidlings - so if you have a bunch of stuff ask for a room on first floor.

We really liked this place - the lay out of the site was great - very scenic; good location, and nice rooms.

Have fun.

6. Re: Sequoia Natl park- wuksachi vs montecito lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...