We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need driving advice Ford F150 and 18' trailer

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dana Point...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Need driving advice Ford F150 and 18' trailer

Hi. I've been reading the forum posts but haven't run across one very similar to our question. We are driving to Lodgepole campground very soon, originally starting up the 395 and then cutting across (at the 58?). We will be driving a Ford F-150 and towing a small travel trailer (18' from tongue to rear bumper). Will we be able to manage the switchbacks of the 198 or do we need to drive the extra miles to take the 180 into the park? Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
28,041 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Need driving advice Ford F150 and 18' trailer

Whew, I wouldn't want to drive that road in a F-150 with a 15 foot trailer. Wait to hear from those more brave than I.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
9,374 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Need driving advice Ford F150 and 18' trailer

I am sure LeB will be by soon. But I am pretty sure the answer would be yes drive around. Extra miles but you will not save time driving on 198. We have a compact pickup and made the mistake trying 198 from SoCal. I think it actually took us longer than going on 180 to Lodgepole. This is not even considering your turning radius. Have you driven it before? It is steep and narrow.

Edited: 9:15 pm, September 02, 2013
California
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
3. Re: Need driving advice Ford F150 and 18' trailer

Here are recommendations from the official Sequoia National Park web site:

nps.gov/seki/…vehicle-restrictions.htm

Vehicles Entering/Exiting Sequoia National Park via Generals Highway (the Main Road through the Parks) and Hwy 198

Vehicles longer than the recommendations listed below will likely cross the double yellow line. Drivers will be held responsible for any hazardous conditions caused by their actions. Follow the recommendations below for your safety and the safety of others:

•Vehicles longer than 22 feet (6.7056 meters) are not advised between Potwisha Campground and the Giant Forest Museum in Sequoia National Park.

•Vehicles longer than 24 feet (7.3152 meters) are not advised between the Foothills Visitor Center and Potwisha Campground in Sequoia National Park.

The section of the Generals Highway leading to and from the "Big Trees" in Giant Forest was built from 1921-1926. As a result, the road was not constructed to accommodate longer vehicles.

Here is another interesting web site for that same highway:

maliasmiles.com/CALIFORNIA/…generalshwy.htm

Edited: 9:21 pm, September 02, 2013
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,479 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Need driving advice Ford F150 and 18' trailer

The park page used to give a slightly different advisory for trucks and trailers (and still says "single vehicle 22 feet for Crystal Cave road" meaning that an 18' trailer would be okay with a truck that's under 22'). I just wouldn't risk it. It's not that much further to the 180, and in the long run, you will probably save time.

You'll then be fine going to Lodgepole. You might want to drive your truck down the 198 to the area where the trees start, then turn around (it's a fine drive, for sure), although parking at the History Center and catching the park shuttle (if operating) to go to Crescent/Log Meadows is something everyone should do. If the shuttle isn't running, you can drive your truck (sloooowly) to Crescent Meadow, being aware that your rear view mirrors could clip someone if you're not careful.

Have a great time! There was gas at Stoney Creek when we were up there last month - but do gas up before entering the parks.

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Need driving advice Ford F150 and 18' trailer

Thanks so much everyone! You have saved us and we will for sure take all of your advice and go via the 180. Will be sure to post a review upon our return. Thanks again - you all are awesome! ~Two Docs.

6. Re: Need driving advice Ford F150 and 18' trailer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 am, September 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...