We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)

Hello fellow travelers!

We are considering a a 3 day camping trip to Sequoia National Park, Lodgepole Campground either next week or mid September. We have a 40' motorhome and will not be towing a car.

How difficult is the drive on Hwy 180? We haven't had our RV for that long and don't want to adventure into something too stressful! (We are coming from So. California).

What about bear containers? Is it advised for RV campers as well?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

8 replies to this topic
Monterey, California
reviews: 22
1. Re: RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)

If you take your time you'll be fine.....Get gas at the second gas station in Squaw Valley before heading up into the park.

No need for bear containers in your RV. Just don't leave food out unattended in camp.

Copperopolis...
2. Re: RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)

Squaw Valley?

Is Squaw Valley on Highway 180 from southern California to Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park with a destination of Lodgepole Campground?

Ah . . . maybe Highway 180 was mistakenly read as Interstate 80. You know, 180 might have looked like I80.

About the bears . . . I highly suggest that you read the information you are handed by the ranger when you are at the entrance gate to the national park. If you want to, at that time ask the ranger about using the bear cannisters even though you are in an RV. I know that it is definitely advised to NOT leave food in a car, and especially NOT in full view.

Mama bears teach their baby bears to look through car windows and to spot anything that looks like food. Then, they teach their baby bears how to rip off the door of a car or other vehicle to get to the inside of the car. And they also train their babies how to smash a vehicle window to get to a bag of potato chips or a package of hot dogs.

Bears also have an extremely keen sense of smell. So, even if they cannot *see* a bag of potato chips inside a vehicle, their cute little noses can *smell* the bag of potato chips! Then it's time to rip open the vehicle with their cute little paws to find the source of that wonderful potato smell.

It is my understanding that bears do not know how to say *thank you* yet to park visitors!

P.S. You do realize that you will need to back track the highway 180 back home.

Edited: 9:30 pm, August 26, 2013
Bend, Oregon
reviews: 12
3. Re: RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)

I do not know the campground you plan on staying in. We travel in an RV also

my only advice it just to verify with the campground or someone that has stayed in it

that it can fit a 40 foot motorhome.

Please check www.rvparkreviews.com

and see the review for the campground.

The issue may be your length and not the road getting there.

We are not able to camp in many spots because of our length.

Older National Park campgrounds were originally designed for camping trailers and tents

and the roads inside are often narrow and not meant for big rigs.

Not trying to be negative just wanted to share what has happened to us...

Fresno, California
4. Re: RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)

Copper_JackRabbit, there is a community of about 3,000 people called Squaw Valley located on Highway 180 between Fresno and Grant Grove.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g33122-Squaw_Valley_…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…_California

Interestingly, the Squaw Valley area near Tahoe is considering incorporating but would call itself Olympic Valley, CA partially since the Fresno County community has usage of the USPS name of Squaw Valley, CA.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
5. Re: RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)

There are 2 sites available right now in Lodgepole that would fit a 40 foot RV and give you 3 nights. There are 2 other sites that would allow you to stay 1 night. Be sure and type 40 in the reservation widget where it says length of RV, because the other available sites will not fit a 40 footer.

http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteCalendar.do

For next week, there's just 1 site available (#22) with a slight grade, back-in site. Make your reservations soon as it is a busy travel week! Have fun (it's about 1 hour from the turn-off that goes south to Sequoia on the General's Highway to Lodgepole, which will be on your left - you can't miss it, it's just past Wuksachi a couple of miles). Campground kiosk is past the general store area.

Bend, Oregon
reviews: 12
6. Re: RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)

What great information. I myself will make notes and now gives me something

to look forward to and new beauty to explore....It is nice they have spots for big rigs

there are not always a lot of them out there.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
7. Re: RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)

I believe Lodgepole has 15 that range between 30 and 40 feet. They are at the very front of the campground, but still in a place with great scenery (especially if you go outside the look up), and fairly close to Lodgepole Creek. I think they have a place to add water to the RV (and maybe even waste management, the above link should have the info), but for a fairly remote National Park, they do their best to accommodate RV's.

Dorst has RV spots too.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
8. Re: RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)

A 40' motorhome will be diesel, not gas, and should have a range of roughly 1,000 miles so no need to fill up anywhere if just coming from LA ;-)

Margie G, thousands of people camp in all kinds of hard-sided RVs in "problem" bear country with no problems. I don't think I've ever heard of any bears bothering RVs. Maybe because there are people in them as opposed to an empty car, I don't know. Just don't leave stuff outside on the picnic table.

Reply to: RV Visit to Sequoia (40' motorhome)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...