We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild fires near sequoia and kings canyon?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Duluth, MN
Wild fires near sequoia and kings canyon?

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are spending time in Sonoma county for our honeymoon. We did the the wine tours and redwoods but we are looking to see the big sequoias. We heard that there are a few wild fires in the area and were hoping for an update. Will we run into any road closures? We want to make sure if we make the drive there that we are able to get into the park. We are planning to drive today 8/22 and visit the park tomorrow 8/23, any advice would be great.

If there is a big sequoia forest closer to Sonoma please let us know!

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
San Diego...
reviews: 28
1. Re: Wild fires near sequoia and kings canyon?

The closest to Sonoma is probably the tiny Placer County Grove west of Lake Tahoe, 144 miles from Sonoma. Also the Calaveras Big Trees State Park, which is 153 miles from Sonoma but slightly shorter in driving time because it would be less mountain driving. About 3 hours one way.

From Sonoma, CA to the entrance of Kings Canyon National Park is about 260 miles, about 5 hours of driving time to get to the Grant Grove, then another hour to the Giant Forest area of Sequoia National Park.

There are also 3 groves of them in Yosemite National Park.

See sierranevadaphotos.com/geography/…index.asp

You will have to drive to one of the above locations to see the giant sequoia tree (sequoiadendron giganteum). The other species is the coast redwood (sequoia sempervirens) which is taller but not as big around as the giant sequoia. They are native to the coastal regions of California. A map of parks with those is at http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24723

Duluth, MN
2. Re: Wild fires near sequoia and kings canyon?

I think we are going to make the drive and go to giant forest, any suggestion of lodging along the way? Also will we run into any wildfires?

Thank you!

Visalia, California
reviews: 1
3. Re: Wild fires near sequoia and kings canyon?

I live in Visalia Born and raised here. Sequoia National Park is maybe an hour or two drive east.

Sequoia has the HUGE Sequoia trees you're looking for and they are massive. As far as I know there are no closures to getting into Sequoia. Kings I'm not entirely sure about. Fires are fairly frequent in the area so it's not a huge deal to me.

I highly recommend you go to Sequoia and check out Crystal Cave. You'll get to see the giant redwoods andbe treated to some amazing caves.

Yosemite is another option. They do have the giant redwoods in their park but i don't think they are in Yosemite Valley. Due to the fact that it's been such a dry year i don't believe many waterfalls are flowing in yosemite so you might do that another time (if possible).

If you come through Visalia and need a place to eat. I recommend Gozen (japanese), vintage press (expensive), depot (expensie), Fugazzis (on main street), Tokoyo Garden, Jack and Charlies. Cheaper dining options include Chapalas, Azule. Those the places my friends and I eat at most frequently.

Down Town or Main Street is nice clean and safe. You can park on main and walk up and down and find dozens of restaurants.

If you have any questions about the Visalia area feel free to ask.

Where ever you end up Kings Canyon, Seqouia or Yosemite all will be beautiful.

KCNP, California
4. Re: Wild fires near sequoia and kings canyon?

Dear Waltx009, You should not have any issues with wildfires in Giant Forest of Sequoia, or the Grant Grove of Giant Sequoias in Kings Canyon NP. Here is a link to the NPS update on the Wildfires, they are not near the areas you are planning to visit: nps.gov/seki/…Lightning-Fires.pdf

The fires in the Cedar Grove section of Kings Canyon are quite far away from the areas you are visiting and are being suppressed (they were never that big to begin with).

So enjoy your visit to Sequoia & Kings Canyon!

Hope that helps!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
5. Re: Wild fires near sequoia and kings canyon?

There have been fires within the Giant Forest area in the recent past - but right now, there are none. Residents are reporting dry lightening, which puts all forests at risk. Still, the chances that you'll run into a fire at SNP right now are fairly remote. It's best to use news sources for this kind of question.

Reply to: Wild fires near sequoia and kings canyon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted