We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV travel on Hwy 180

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Oregon
reviews: 1
RV travel on Hwy 180

We will be traveling in 34' motor home into park and plan in staying Grant Grove area . Is Hwy 180 steep and narrow or will it be a relaxing drive?

2 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
1. Re: RV travel on Hwy 180

Check with the parks page, but as far as I know, there's no length restriction on that road. It lacks the hairpin curves and switchbacks of the 198. It is narrow enough in places, and there's no way that taking a 34' RV up to 7000 feet of altitude can be *entirely* relaxing, as you will have to pull out for others that are going more slowly (or risk some pretty amazing displays of local behavior - many park employees need to get up and down that road on time, and, well, even a smaller RV has to go slower than a car designed for curves). I'd say it has curves, but is not winding.

But, if you get into the right frame of mind and look for the right pull-outs (there are *many* and some passing lanes too - wait until you like one and there's room for you to get completely off the road - it's fine if there are 2-3 cars behind you; at 5 cars it's considered extremely bad form to keep going past a turn-out).

Do you have reservations? There wasn't a single site for tent or RV over the last month (or until after Labor Day). First come/first serve isn't going to work for a largish RV at Grants Grove. There are some other places to stay (National Forest Land - you'll be self-contained so you could find something there, but you need to get a map from the Auto Club or something like their campground book so you can even find those places). They are somewhat marked on the park map (but I find the markings for the National Forest campgrounds to be not so clear).

Salem, Oregon
reviews: 1
2. Re: RV travel on Hwy 180

Thanks for the info. I agree with you about turning out to let others pass. I have been on the back side of that situation and I know it is very annoying. We won't be going until the third week of September and will be arriving on a Sunday so thought we would be okay but with the info you gave me I will look into additional options. I appreciate your help.

Reply to: RV travel on Hwy 180
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...