We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

We went up to the mountains for 4 days, leaving on a Thursday mid-morning and getting to the Giant Forest in a record 4.5 hours from northern L.A. There's construction on I-5 that shunts the two faster lane into one claustrophobic, no-passing lane for several miles and that was the only slow-down. We take the 65 route up to the 198, and with the exception of a newly-started grass fire, it was uneventful.

We were car camping. At the entry kiosk, the ranger told us there were still spaces at Dorst, but when we got there, the sign said "full." We went in to check it out, and yes, there were still a few campsites left at 4:30. It was a zoo in Dorst. No enforcement of the 6 person per campsite rule (the group just behind me was a 9 person group, all on one campsite and when we got to our assigned site, there were as many as 3 tents with 18 chairs on some sites, lots and lots of people milling about). Knowing that we were just going to sleep at our site (and spend our time elsewhere, out in nature) and that we had come prepared to be at completely unimproved campsites, we pushed on to see if we could find a better place to stay (we did).

We love Sequoia for its nature and its wildlife, so one of our favorite things to do is to find some exfoliating granite outcropping (like Beetle Rock, but all to ourselves) in a mixed forest area and just be quiet, looking around. Birds were the highlight of this visit, although we saw an amazing array of unusual insects (and some usual insects - like mosquitoes, which are tiny and less audible than mosquitos elsewhere and one definitely needs bug spray). A tiny creek ran by where we were hanging out, and a lovely mule deer showed up a few times to have a drink. There were of course chipmunks, gray squirrels and golden-mantled ground squirrels (saw no Douglas squirrels). Had my first glimpse of weasels at a rock outcropping at 7800 feet, they were in haste to get as far away from us as possible, but unmistakably not squirrels.

We sighted a yearling bear cub near the Lost Grove, heard bats and owls at night, and in general it was very good for the soul and the senses.

All the major Big Trees sites were crowded. Trailheads were crowded. Someone had a drum set and amplification near the campground (although they only played until 10 pm, we moved our campsite yet again to be someplace quieter). Grants Grove and its adjacent campgrounds were very busy. Stoney Creek Lodge area did have self service gas ($3.99 a gallon for regular unleaded), there were lines for it.

Key fact: it is very, very dry in the Sierras. Almost no water in the creeks (some completely dry). Clover Creek falls area looked like two small swimming pools. Lodgepole Creek had a couple of swimming holes (much more shallow than usual) and these were both completely packed with people. Lodgepole Campground was, if possible, even more crowded than Dorst, and again, many sites with more than the limit of people (the limit has been strictly kept in years past; the park has a temporary supervisor and fewer rangers than usual - not sure if that's the reason for the problem). Lodgepole and Dorst were still allowing campfires, but the NF campgrounds were absolutely not (and a permit is needed to operate a camp stove).

Dorst ranger said the campground may close early due to running out of water. Park literature says that they were going to try and keep the numbers at Dorst lower than usual in order to preserve water, that's obviously not happening (and I suppose closing it saves them the cost of having personnel there).

General Store and Visitor's Center Gift Shop have had some revamping - but still the old basics there. Shuttle stops were crowded, shuttles were crowded, but apparently the most popular place is still General Sherman; Crescent Meadow wasn't too crowded and was sublime. Staff at the Visitor Center was very young and relatively uninformed about trails and trail conditions (but highly informed about souvenir mugs). The old practice of posting weather records on the whiteboard at the Visitor Center has been abandoned. :( The sky was completely clear on the first day, with wispy, fast-moving clouds on the other days. Smoke from the fires near Mammoth (I think that's where they are) definitely clouded the already-impaired views from the General's Highway out toward the Valley and the Coast. Overnight lows (according to RAWS data acquired after we got home) were in the low 40's, so a bit nippy.

We finished out our stay with some time on the real Beetle Rock. Most of the people we ran into there were from other countries. We heard many different languages during our stay, lots of German, some French, Portuguese, lots of Spanish, some Italian, some Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, and some other Slavic languages we couldn't quite identify. We had our dogs with us and so naturally spoke with other dog-people; one family was from Greece but spending a long vacation (with their dog) in the U.S. We visited some trees near Beetle Rock that I've known since childhood, when Camp Kaweah was there.

It's lovely to see people stopping for pictures at Tunnel Rock, Tunnel Tree, Auto Log, and all the other classic sites of Sequoia. Lots of groups taking pictures where 15 people could stand in front of a tree and still not look like a very large group.

Driving out of the park was very very slow, due to slow traffic refusing to pull out for the excruciating 27 miles or so of switchbacks. Everyone had to go 5 mph (or come to a complete stop if that lead car, with a very timid driver, decided to actually stop on some of the hairpins). We started counting the cars in the other direction that were over the double line (1 in 5) and saw many near misses. On one afternoon, in the park, we were all similarly trapped behind two motorcycles going way under the speed limit - but that may have been a good thing, because eventually one of them stopped working altogether - right in the traffic lane, and there was much screeching of tires and veering off the road to avoid collisions, as many people were tailgating at the front of that car-train.

So, please go prepared to drive slowly, to keep your distance from the car ahead of you (you just never know when something unusual is going to happen), to keep from hitting animals, and to stay on your side of the road. Use the many well-constructed and safe pull-outs if you have even one car tailgating you, but certainly if there are 20 cars piled up behind you. Take moisturizing lotion and be prepared for bear activity at any picnic site or campsite. There's no need to pound pots and pans all night long at every sound, a good flashlight will deter even intrepid bears (they have notoriously poor sight and bright light is not their friend). Be prepared for a very large group, communal experience (with every form of human behavior) if you are staying in a NP campground during the Summer.

The world up there was still lush and green, with many wildflowers still in bloom, and only the barest hint of brown in the center of the larger meadows. Beautiful grasses and ferns everywhere, lots of wonderful natural food for bears. No cell service at any point in the park that we found (not until well outside the park). We Three Bakery in Three Rivers was open only on weekends (we didn't stop, but really like it when we do). Two newish motels on the south side of Three Rivers appeared nearly full (Comfort Inn and America's Value Inn). The ones near the 1922 bridge were doing a brisk business.

Less crowded trails included the Heather Lake Trail (a bit steep in the beginning, but so worth it if you make it to the Watchtower - not for the vertiginous, but there is a safe, non-cliffside alternative to going out on the edge there). I have to say that the Lodgepole Canyon area thrills me scenically about as much as Yosemite Valley, although it is much smaller, the walls are also much closer to the viewer, and it is altogether lovely.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 48
1. Re: Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

Thank you for the trip report. Just reinforces our travel practice of going first thing in June before the crowds arrive. ;-)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
2. Re: Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

Thank you, Norgetroll - yes, June is better. Mid-September, it gets better and October is often wonderful (although this year, I wonder just how dry it will be by then). It took a couple of days to get our skin back into its "normal" state, ha.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 757
3. Re: Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

Thanks for your informative and comprehensive trip report.

>>...there were as many as 3 tents with 18 chairs on some sites<<

Yikes. What a shame they aren't enforcing the maximum occupancy for campsites. Too many people crammed into one spot makes for unhappy situations. Just one of the reasons we normally avoid publicly-owned campgrounds :-(

Sounds as if you had a good time overall though!

So Cal
reviews: 64
4. Re: Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

Loved reading this.

Who runs the campgrounds, the NPS or a concessionaire? I wonder if the issues are related to sequestration cuts.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
5. Re: Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

We did have an amazing time (we didn't end up staying in Dorst, and would only reveal where we stayed by PM, ha). However, for a lot of people, Dorst is a great choice (and it's way less crowded in June and September).

I actually had a chance to message someone I know who works for the Department of the Interior, National Parks division, and it turns out Sequoia doesn't have a permanent supervisor right now, and is definitely understaffed at all levels. This would account for the somewhat cranky ranger (there was also one very nice one - but he was the one who let 9 people onto one site).

In some cases, people really do have two sites, but they are far apart, and they are a group, so they put up 3-4 tents on one site, with all their chairs, cabanas and lanterns (thereby encroaching into the space that the next site would think was theirs). They leave the other site empty. There was someone complaining about this practice right in front of us (as it turned out some campers were literally *on* their reserved site and the ranger said he didn't have time to go check and wanted them to take a different site - and yet, they had reserved two side-by-side sites months in advance, and for only 10 people, I really felt badly for them). One of this latter party said they had waited 1.5 hours for a solution and kept being offered two sites relatively far apart. Everyone seemed overwhelmed.

In some cases, a private campground might be a better idea, if this sort of thing continues (this is the first time we've seen it be so bad). Private campgrounds usually take a more proactive stance about the rules and are usually "governed" by owners who are on site and have seen everything, and know why they have to prevent abuses.

So Cal
6. Re: Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

Interesting. (-On our recent trip to Yosemite, there was nobody enforcing rules about anything in Housekeeping. Afterwards, I started wondering whose responsiblity it would be, the NPS or the concessionaire.)

Fresno, California
7. Re: Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

I'm not sure if you are referring to the Park Superintendent position or some other supervisory position there.

NPS appointed a new Superintendent for SEKI 3 weeks ago. They appointed the same person who has been serving as the Acting Superintendent since April to the permanent position.

www.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm…

Before moving to SEKI, Woody Smeck spent time at Yosemite and served as Superintendent of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area for over 10 years until the end of 2012.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
8. Re: Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

Ah, then they appointed someone I know slightly. Usually, Woody is really responsive (but he's not listed yet in the NPS email directory). I was going to refrain from bugging Woody with my mail about this while he was still acting, but if he's permanent, then yep, I'm going to write to him.

If the lack of enforcement is a problem at Yosemite, too, I'm guessing this may be an overall budget problem. I work for the government too, basically, and in a position that now involves budget, so I know what a mess everything is - but we have to try and maintain our standards. It's really very hard on Sierra environments to have so many people (and so many people breaking other rules, not just the crowding rules).

Edited: 6:50 pm, August 09, 2013
Fresno, California
9. Re: Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

Always helps to know someone to give them feedback. I've known some of the local National Forest Service people at different levels along with some the NPS folks. Unfortunately my NPS contacts have moved on from SEKI.

Although budgets are tight, most managers want to know the impacts and problems. My contacts (in and out of government) have always appreciated hearing what the public experiences from their organization.

Some of the things I've seen done by visitors in our public lands over the years just leave me speechless though.

So Cal
10. Re: Trip Report - Early August Weekend in SNP and KCNP

Oh yes. I don't know how rangers manage to keep their cool amid some of the craziness.