We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel LV to Yosemite

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida...
Travel LV to Yosemite

My family of 6 (children ages 6-14) are traveling next week. Plan to fly into LAs Vegas Aug 14th mid afternoon. First night stay is in YOSEMITE 15th. Then to Sequoia Sun 18th for quick stay then to Grand Canyon and back to LV.

Any advice on best way with directions/best place to stay and to get some scenery in as we drive to and from California with kids. As I've read, it looks do able to travel part of the trip the day we fly in and then the next day travel to Yosemite?

San Diego...
reviews: 29
1. Re: Travel LV to Yosemite

Here is an article on driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361/Califo…

That offers a 2-day trip, but it seems fro your post that you want to get from Las Vegas to Yosemite all in 1 day. It's a little unclear where you are staying the night after your flight. Are you staying in Las Vegas?

As far as I know the shortest route in distance from LV to Yosemite is 406 miles with a driving time of 7.5 hours plus time spent at stops. It involves the highways US-95 N, NV-266 W, US-6 W and CA-120 W. It avoids the extreme heat of Death Valley by bypassing Death Valley completely. However it is less scenic than the route through Death Valley, Lone Pine and up US-395 N.

Edited: 1:27 am, August 05, 2013
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Travel LV to Yosemite

Hi

Also count time for the rental pick up etc. If you can stand the heat you can make it to Death Valley NP first night. Furnace Creek Ranch app is 2.5 hours from Las Vegas but make a reservation. Stovepipe Wells resort is another 30 minutes drive to the west. If you want to take fastest way and bypass Death Valley I suggest to stay Beatty along 95. Beyond Beatty next motels are in Tonopah or if you drive via 266 in Lee Vining and that's too far away. Hope you are not planning to drive from Seki to GC in one day.

Tet

Tampa, Florida...
3. Re: Travel LV to Yosemite

That is very helpful. We do have 2 days to travel....the day we fly in and the next day. I'm thinking if we can do it...your option of staying near Death Valley is best option. We are planning the same type of extra day in between to travel from Sequioa to GC. IS there a different scenic route to take going to GC?

San Diego...
reviews: 29
4. Re: Travel LV to Yosemite

You could stay in Death Valley that night, in fact it might be better to make your crossing of Death Valley at night and early morning, since in the afternoons it can reach 120 F in Death Valley in August. Nighttime lows are in the 80s.

To see some of the sights that lie between Death Valley and Yosemite, look at this travelogue: travelswithbillandnancy.com/eastern_sierras.… Death Valley to Yosemite Valley via Tioga Pass is a drive of about 300 miles, at least 6 hours of driving time plus time spent at stops. So you won't have too much time that day for sightseeing, thus you'll have to pick your stops carefully. Probably once you get into Yosemite you will want to stop at Tuolumne Meadows, Tenaya Lake and Olmstead Point. It will be significantly cooler up there than it was in Death Valley so it will be refreshing after the heat of the deserts.

Sequoia National Park to Grand Canyon National Park is about 600 miles, about 10 hours of driving time plus time spent at stops. And it's mostly through flat agricultural land and then hot, empty desert. Since it will be so hot you might want to stay the night between at Needles, CA or Laughlin, NV, where you could possibly have some water play in the Colorado River, or just find a hotel with a good pool. Another possibility is Barstow, CA, though there's not much to see or do there and it will be hot.

The kids may enjoy sights such as Calico Ghost Town, near Barstow, the historic mining town of Oatman, AZ, or a drive along Route 66 through Peach Springs (which was said to be a model for Radiator Springs in the "Cars" movies). But all these places are going to be hot; not as hot as Death Valley though.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
5. Re: Travel LV to Yosemite

Are you staying inside Sequoia Kings Canyon NP or is this just a drive through? Crossing DV at night you'll miss all the scenery.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
6. Re: Travel LV to Yosemite

I would hope that with such a long drive (I reckon it will be 7 hours of driving, not including stops for gas) to get to SNP from Las Vegas, that they would be staying inside the park.

Since GC is 4-5 hours from LV, I'd try and get as close as possible to GC (say, Williams or Seligman). Needles would be my last alternative, but in play if I didn't want to drive 8 hours. But, with this itinerary, I think being willing to drive 8 hours in a day is part of it.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
7. Re: Travel LV to Yosemite

The OP is coming from Yosemite to Seki Cookie and from inside the park it's more like a 12 hours drive to GC without detours. But of course I also recommend to stay inside the park.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
8. Re: Travel LV to Yosemite

Okay, got it. Yes, it would be at least 12 hours. We just came back day before yesterday, from Sequoia, and just coming down the mountain took way longer than usual (slow car refused to turn out - must have had 30 cars behind it). We didn't take the 58, but google said it was congested (everything was congested and always is in the summer, especially Thursday-Monday morning).

This year, it seems to me that the highways are exceedingly busy for summer.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 48
9. Re: Travel LV to Yosemite

Las Vegas to Yosemite in one day is do able, it will be 8 hours plus to the Valley floor, depending on stops you make and traffic.

I suggest 95 north to 266/168. If it is not to warm stop and see Bristle Pinecone Pine forest. Than north 395 to 120. Consider if you can staying in Tuolumne Meadows for the first night, than head to the Valley floor. Another option is Mammoth Lakes for the first night.

I would avoid Death Valley this time of year.

Yosemite to Sequoia is a easy beautiful drive. Stop in Oakhurst for BBQ at Todd's.

Sequoia to Grand Canyon will be a killer drive. 12 hours easy. Definitely plan an over night. None of the choices are that great. Might try making it to Kingman and staying over there.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
10. Re: Travel LV to Yosemite

Think the OP wants a head start and not stay Las Vegas first night Norgetroll .