We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route for One night two days from Thousand Oaks, CA

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Best route for One night two days from Thousand Oaks, CA

We are 3 adults traveling from Thousand Oaks, planning to leave on Thursday early morning and returning by Friday night. We've booked our accommodation at John Muir Lodge at Grant Grove village. I have few questions regarding the route to take and the itinerary. BTW we're from Chicago.

1. What is the best way to visit as many attractions as we can in two days?

2. Is it better to go directly to the lodge and start to hike or visit area or stop by Sequoia Park first then go to the lodge and visit Kings Canyon next day?

3. I don't know how far from each other or how to get there or best order to see all of General Sherman, Crescent Meadow, Crystal Cave and Moro Rock or Kings Canyon area.

Please help! We'll be there mid August.

Thanks,

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
reviews: 52
1. Re: Best route for One night two days from Thousand Oaks, CA

I suggest you enter by way of Three Rivers as early in the day as you can. If you want to visit Crystal Cave, buy your tickets at the Visitors Center as you enter. based on the time of your tickets will determine what you can see first. I would get the latest time you can. Park your car at Giant Forest Museum. From here you can ride the shuttle to Moro Rock, Cresent Meadow, and Sherman tree. The shuttle does not go to Crystal Cave. Including drive time and hike to cave, give yourself an hour to be sure you are on time. I might do Moro Rock as it is great in the late afternoon early evening.

After you have explored Sequoia you can head to the Lodge.

Next day hit Grants Grove and than head into Kings Canyon. See Zumwalt Meadow. If you want to do a great hike in the Canyon, park at Roads End and hike to Mist Falls.

So Cal
reviews: 68
2. Re: Best route for One night two days from Thousand Oaks, CA

I loved Crystal Cave, but with the short time you have, I would skip it. It's going to be a good 3-4hours drive between home and the parks both ways, so you only have parts of two days for this visit. Unless you're really interested in caves and uninterested in sequoias etc, that is.

Given the narrow, curvy road and the need to watch for bears etc, it takes about an hour to drive the Generals Highway between Lodgepole/Giant Forest and Grant Grove. (It's not a nerve-racking road, just a slow one.) I haven't timed the drive down into the canyon from Grant Grove - I've always stopped at viewpoints etc. It's probably at least an hour of straight driving time.

Los Angeles...
3. Re: Best route for One night two days from Thousand Oaks, CA

I'm planning to head from Thousand Oaks to Sequoia/Kings canyon in the next week or so. Curious how your trip went and if you have any advice for me. I'm planning to stay there for 2 nights though. Thanks in advance.

4. Re: Best route for One night two days from Thousand Oaks, CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 09, 2014