We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Itinerary Feasability/In Park Driving Time

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Versailles...
4 posts
2 reviews
One Day Itinerary Feasability/In Park Driving Time

Hello!

I've been watching the forum for a while and am amazed at how helpful the comments are! I am now coming to you for some expert advice!

We will be staying in Turlock, CA on a Wednesday in mid-August and then leaving the next morning to drive to Sequoia via CA-99 to Fresno where we would then take Highway 180 to the Big Stump Entrance. We were going to drive the Generals Highway through the park to the Ash Mountain Entrance where we would then take Highway 198 to CA-99 to our hotel in Tulare.

I know this is a tight schedule and the rest of our intinerary has made it impossible to buy any more time. Is this even a feasible plan? We are not hikers and our main focus is to see the big trees (i.e. General Grant, General Sherman). While I can get a little bit of an idea on driving times to the entrances, I'm very uncertain about how much time needs to be dedicated solely to traveling within the park between our "starting" entrance and our "exiting" entrance.

We are in desperate need of some expert help to make sure we aren't getting in over our heads and to accurately plan when to leave our hotel to have enough time to see things and not have to be driving the curvy roads late at night. I also have dreamed of seeing the Sequoias for a very long time and want to make sure I don't miss out on the best "wow" moment of looking up at the trees in a grove. Any suggestions on where non-hiker/non-outdoorsy "city folk" could go that would make this possible?

Thank you so much in advance!

Gretchen

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: One Day Itinerary Feasability/In Park Driving Time

While I agree that staying in the park for a night or more is best, your plan for a day trip is do able. Sadly most who visit the park do so on day trips. Just leave your hotel as early as you can.

When you enter the park go to Grants Grove first and see that grove of trees. Be sure to stop at the visitors center. Than head south to Lodgepole. You can get sandwiches and snacks here for a picnic.Park here and ride the shuttle to the Geberal Sherman tree area. Walk among the trees than catch the shuttle to the Giant Forest Museum. From here go to Moro Rock and climb as high as you can manage for great views. Take the shuttle back to your car and be on your way. If you leave the park about 6:30 you will be off mountain roads well before dark. Have a great trip.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
223 posts
113 reviews
2. Re: One Day Itinerary Feasability/In Park Driving Time

I also visited Sequoia NP for a day only last month. It´s definitely feasible although I wish we had more time.

As the roads in and out of the park are very winding (expect 20mph) make sure to leave your hotel early. As it gets very busy in the summer, you will most likely need to park in one spot and take the shuttle around.

It´s well organized, but you might still have waiting times of 15-20 min, so this takes extra time too.

My fav spot was the Big Trees Trail which takes you on an easy circle trail amidst the trees. I liked it much better than Sherman Tree.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: One Day Itinerary Feasability/In Park Driving Time

The Park website gives a good overview of what to do in one day www.visitsequoia.com/travel-planning.aspx

4. Re: One Day Itinerary Feasability/In Park Driving Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...