We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choosing a campground in Sequoia/Inyo... help!

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
2 posts
choosing a campground in Sequoia/Inyo... help!

I'm traveling up from LA into the Sierra national parks region and am looking for a secluded, tent-only campground with access to good hiking trails. This is my first time camping in the Sequoia/King's Canyon region, and I'd love some guidance from someone that's been camping here. I've heard that Cold Springs campground in the Mineral King region of Sequoia National Park is pretty spectacular and relatively quiet... I've also heard that the campgrounds near Bishop in the Inyo National Forest are pretty amazing, too.

Any thoughts on which of these options would be a better bet? Or any other favorite secluded spots in these areas?

Thanks so much!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8,857 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: choosing a campground in Sequoia/Inyo... help!

Not too many regular tourists go up to Mineral King; it's mainly serious hikers. So if you're looking to be away from the crowds, Mineral King is a good choice. Bishop and the Inyo National Forest are on the other side of the range, the eastern Sierras, so it's different; a drier climate and no sequoia trees, but spectacular mountain views and relatively uncrowded compared to the national parks. See http://www.fs.usda.gov/inyo/ for more information.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
2. Re: choosing a campground in Sequoia/Inyo... help!

Thanks so much for the info...

Might you have any thoughts or knowledge about the various campgrounds in the Bishop region of Inyo?

I'm leaning toward trying to find a spot at Cold Spring in Sequoia, but I could be swayed if there's a particularly wonderful place not to be missed farther north in Inyo...

In any case, thanks for responding!

3. Re: choosing a campground in Sequoia/Inyo... help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...